CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

renegade question?? is this thing bad???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default renegade question?? is this thing bad???

As for the hard steering that early demo units had, it is gone. When Can Am went with the ITP ATR's for the renegade they used a stock 25-8-12 up front for the early demo's. The tire had significantly more traction than a stock outy 800, hence harder steering. I personally believe this was compounded when the shock mounts where moved to change the handling toward a more aggressive "sport" feel. The initial ATR' s were almost flat on top, which if not overinflated will grab like crazy. Can Am has had ITP make a "new" ATR for the renegade that is much rounder and almost like a parabolic arc. This tire has a much more sport quad profile with less grab, thus lighter steering. Yet the tire is better than its predicessor in that it incredibly stable at high speeds. I have a set of ITP 26" that I used to run on my Brute Force 750. The new 25's are almost as big and the fronts are not nearly flat on top as the 26's are.

The suspension is not as plushy as the outy or the grizzly or polaris. However it is not as jarring as the Brute either. It rebounds better than any of the other quads in that is doesn't launch you after you come down from a big bump. The renegade seems to recover and "sit" down better than the stock set-ups on the other machines. The seat seems soft enough for me for extended rides and I have a bad back. I can't imagine how good this would be with a set of "works" all the way around. Not trying to snub elka's, just they are a chunk heavier, and weight is a commodity to be avoided.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default renegade question?? is this thing bad???

Thanks Toolboy. I guess I'll just have to take a chance and hope its for me. Talking to my dealer and he said that there is a pretty good list of accessories coming for it like:

front windshield(!?)
full skids
diff skids
hand protectors
hand/thumb warmer kit
winch kit
larger front bumper
rear rack
rear bag
fender extensions(looks like it needs them)

One more question- what is your measured ground clearance( since I know Canam fudges this number) and do you find yourself hitting stuff or does it seem to be enough. Just wondering if I need a larger tire to get a bit more clearance- thanks again.