CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Bike won't start - No spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 Bike won't start - No spark

Thanks for the reply atvaddict01

Only problem is I can't start the bike to test the Rectifier. Not sure is this is valid or not but my original battery is dead and has been for a while, I would charge it and it would still not start the bike so I presume it's faulty. I have a new one but not fitted it yet due to the existing problem of not having a spark.

To test the bike at the moment I am jumping it off a car battery, not sure of Amps, could this cause a problem as the thread above mentions overvolatge which can cause the CDI to cut out.

Is there a way to reset a CDI if it has cut out or does cut out mean "dead"... hmmmmm...

Anyway, thanks for your pointer.

Cheers....Pigsfoot.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right, I think I?m getting somewhere. Firstly apologies for the lengthy replies but I am hoping all this testing will not go in vain for future searches if anyone else has a similar problem.

To miss all the waffle please scroll down to the bit with the ***'s

I have tested my old and new plugs on an off road 250cc buggy I have and they all spark really well.

I also found this document on the net that tells you how to test a rectifier. For future searches I have titles it so it will be easier to find.

How to test / check a rectifier

"Regulator/Rectifier - That's the little box that has the fins on it that the stator connects to. Put your meter on the Diode setting, and unplug the rectifier. There's gonna be 5 wires comming out of the Reg/Rec: the 3 to the stator, and a red one and a ground wire. To do the diode tests, put your red lead on the red wire. Then go to the 3 that plug into the stator. 1,2,3 tests, then switch your meter leads and do the same thing. You should have OL for one of the ways, and a small voltage for the other. Then move to the ground wire, and do the same tests, switch leads again and test again. You should have 12 tests total because of the 6 diodes in there. For each of the red and ground wires, you should have OL for 3 of the tests, and a small voltage for the other 3, like I just said. If all that checks out, then your rectifier is good. Next plug everything back in, and check your ground wire connection from the Rec/rec. Make sure you check it as close to the reg/rec body as you can, cuz there could be a break in the wire or something. If there's an open, then locate it, and repair as necessary. "... notes originally found at http://www.sportbikez.net/phorum/read.php?13,118915

Only difference I had was my red and black cables from the Multimeter were a different way round other than that got the above results. I also ran the test on an old 250cc quad I have which runs perfectly and got the same results.

Plugs.... Good to Go
Rectifier... Good to Go
Coils? presume they are OK, not sure how to check
CDI? who knows but most people are saying it?s unlikely it?s faulty.

*****'s

Once thing I am suspect about is the Kill switch. When the bike originally just seemed to stop one thing I did find was a wire from the kill switch was dangling free and looked like it had been nipped and cut on something. I then found a similar cut wire of the same colour and put 2 and 2 together and joined them up. Thought nothing more about it.

I now have the bike completely in bit's... not a pretty site but is giving me chance to tidy it up... oh well at least something good will come of all this.

Looking back at the Coils / Wiring and Kill switch something is bugging me, basically the wires out of the sides ( opposite The plug wire ) of the coils looks like it is connected wrong. Looking at the bike front end on the left hand wire is connected to the same wire on the right coil. These two connect into a block and two more wires come out. One end I have traced to the CDI unit ( Black and white wire ) the other was connected to one side of the Kill switch and the other side of the Kill switch connects to Earth.... This is where I get confused, why would the wires from the coil eventually connect to Earth ( apart from the CDI ) when the coils are earthed via the bolts anyway.

Can anyone shed any light on this, where should these wires connect to ? .... for now I am happy to bypass the kill switch as I have lost the clip anyway and use a piece of plastic to keep the switch "open".

I am waiting for a service manual to arrive in the next couple of days which will hopefully have a wiring diagram in, but in the meantime if anyone has a PDF copy they could email me or post a link to I think it would be very handy.

Any other suggestions please keep them coming, everyone has been very helpful so far.

Apologies for such a long post... just trying to give as much info a possible.

Cheers.....Pigsfoot

Old 01-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

also check your trigger coil ,wires are between seat and gas tank its a plug with 2 wires one is blue the other is green/yellow should have between 190 to 300 ohms,check ground cables on spark plug coiles,still a good chance its your cdi, i also run a big gun cdi never had any problems i do have two stock cdi in my garage, keep us posted.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maxbomber, thanks for the reply. I have checked my ignition coil and it around 260 ohms. I have the electrical section of the service manual now and it is very detailed on what to check in what order, how to check it and what results you should get.

If any one is interested in a copy please a post on this thread and I will add it to a website I have so you can download it as a PDF.

The document even goes into detail on how to check a CDI unit.... as well as every other part of the ignition system.

Unfortunately for some of the results you need a multimeter that is capable of reading up to 10k Ohms to test the CDI and mine only goes up to 2k. So I?m off to buy a new one tomorrow. I also need something more sensitive to do a dynamic test on the ignition coil as mine is giving different results than I should be getting but until I get another multimeter I don't know if it's the coil yet.

Will place another post when I get the results.

Thanks.... Pigsfoot

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

the 01 is not the same as the 2003 and up as far as the rectifer go's my 01 has 1 plug and the newer ones have 2 plugs.any way i had the same deal with mine i tried every thing.put a new rectifer on . and off i whent.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

[quote]
Originally posted by: sandjunkie200738
the 01 is not the same as the 2003 and up as far as the rectifer go's my 01 has 1 plug and the newer ones have 2 plugs.any way i had the same deal with mine i tried every thing.put a new rectifer on . and off i whent.[/

you said that you check the battery.did you check it with a battery tester? if not try that.. i'm thinking you have a bad cell in there.if the cell is bad replace the battery. i and it should start right up.. but be aware. as soon as it starts as it is running,check you battery with your volt meter.on my 01 it stops chareing at 12.5 some thing like that.
but is is not unheard of going up to 13. i cant say, i know mine is 12 .5 if it go's over that real fast.. you will need to replace your rectifer. i hope this helps out.. this is what happin to me right after i bought my ds. it took me 2 batterys to find out was going on..i blew the side out of one... wow.... that scared me.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Pigsfoot
I have the electrical section of the service manual now and it is very detailed on what to check in what order, how to check it and what results you should get.If any one is interested in a copy please a post on this thread and I will add it to a website I have so you can download it as a PDF.The document even goes into detail on how to check a CDI unit.... as well as every other part of the ignition system.
PLEASE DO!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really need those diagrams mine is doing the same thing. I don't know what else to do