CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

+18 extended swingarm for DS250?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +18 extended swingarm for DS250?

A Busa DS is badass, a stretched sprint car 3 wheeler with a lame 250cc engine is not. I can't believe you guys think he is serious, he is EFFING with you, he comes on here and this is his first post...c'mon. Too funny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

IF he was serious, build something like this: http://www.hansmotorradfactory.com/yamahastory.htm

Old 01-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Forget about the Busa, go with the 750!! LOL I just couldnt help myself!!! LOL

Gary

p.s. dont let SST know I said that LOLOLOLOL

Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

With all the customer fab work you already have to do, why not just buy an engine with adequite power and base the machine around something more substantial. Custom design and fab the chassis, and you will ultimately have a much better machine. The other problem is the power to weight you will be working with. That 250 engine will never be able to power a machine the size you are reffering to, even if you could mod the h&ll out of it. Wich you really cannot do with the current market offerings. Your talking about a machine that would have to weigh in the 600 lb range. Add a rider, or possibly two [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img], and you are putting yourself in harms way if you plan to ever put it on the street. Now if you are farting around off road that is one thing, but when your talking about riding this contraption through 3 and 4 thousand lb auto's I think you are playing with fire. More power, and a custom chassis or all you have is a coffin on wheels. IMHO If you want fuel economy, get yourself a Vespa.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

Wow. Ya'll are really ...... active ... in this forum.

So, it's crazy. It'll never work. I'm DOOMED...blah blah blah

It's true. It may not work. It may be as much fun, or, I mean, as much a waste of time and money, as jumping sand dunes every weekend or trying to faster than another guy for 10 seconds on a little atv. But, then again, it's so crazy it just might work. BTW I am working with a guy who's ridden and modified motorcycles all his life and has built fiberglass airplanes before, so there's been lots of thought gone into this. There hasn't been so much thought as to keep us from doing anything, though.

First off, who do you Foghorn Leghorns recommend for doing fabrication of extended swingarms? +12" minimum. +18" maximum. Oh, and I promise I won't tell them you sent me. Or maybe you'd want me to tell them you sent me so ya'll could have another day or two of joking around the ol' oil can together.

Second, what is a lattice swingarm? Where can I see pictures of one?

Third, here are more questions to have fun with. How fast would ya'll (you guys/you all) think a DS250 could go stock? How many cc's do Hayabusa engines come in? Where would I get one? How much are they? Does Taiwan make the DS650 engine? What size engine would you guys recommend for a project like this? What's the best 250cc-sized ATV out there right now and why?

Here's another one. What gas mileage do you reckon you're getting on your atv's right now? I know they're not really set up to measure that, but I'm just wondering if anyone has that info.

There's enough to play with for awhile. I'll see what ya'll do with that, and maybe I'll tell you how I arrived at using the CanAm DS250.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I can tell you first hand that the ds250 the wife has will do about 45, maybe a little more, with me on it. It won't get there fast either. The 250 Trail Blazer she has is a lot quicker. We're not talking about tons of torque on this thing either. With the stock cluctch setup, it's a slow start.

Like FatHolly said, there isn't much in the way of aftermarket parts for this model. I know, because I'm trying to find the stuff to make it at least feel like it's got some umph to it.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Underdogdave

First off, who do you Foghorn Leghorns recommend for doing fabrication of extended swingarms? +12" minimum. +18" maximum. Oh, and I promise I won't tell them you sent me. Or maybe you'd want me to tell them you sent me so ya'll could have another day or two of joking around the ol' oil can together.

Second, what is a lattice swingarm? Where can I see pictures of one?

Third, here are more questions to have fun with. How fast would ya'll (you guys/you all) think a DS250 could go stock? How many cc's do Hayabusa engines come in? Where would I get one? How much are they? Does Taiwan make the DS650 engine? What size engine would you guys recommend for a project like this? What's the best 250cc-sized ATV out there right now and why?

Here's another one. What gas mileage do you reckon you're getting on your atv's right now? I know they're not really set up to measure that, but I'm just wondering if anyone has that info.
Answers:
1. I've never heard of anyone extending the swinger on the DS250, and I doubt any has yet, so I wouldn't know of anyone who has done it before. Your air plane building friend should have the skills to fab up a simple swinger.

2. A Lattice swingarm is just that... it would have wide mounting points and many cross braces, as opposed to traditional swinger which has a central mounting point, and no ability to incorporate cross bracing.

3. DS250 top speed is 55mph, Busa displacement 1300cc, you could find one on Ebay or direct from Suzuki (otherwise know as a crate engine), ask supersonictoys about price, Taiwan does not make the 650 Rotax, you need at least 500cc+, the Honda 250R is the best 250cc engine ever produced.

4. Mileage on an ATV engine is normally irrelavant due to excessive wheel spin. You could never get an accurate reading off road. I have never ridden more than a minute of two on pavement... not enought measure any MPG.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

maybe I'll tell you how I arrived at using the CanAm DS250.
Looks like your offline right now but, I just have to know ???????

Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally posted by: FatHolly

maybe I'll tell you how I arrived at using the CanAm DS250.
Looks like your offline right now but, I just have to know ???????
That would be nice to know. Seems like with an umlimited budget, other choices would have been better.

This isn't anything related to a UT experiment, is it?

If it is, I'm sure you can appeciate pic #2 in my gallery. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

THIS IS BY FAR THE DUMBEST POST I HAVE EVER SEEN ON HERE. WHY DONT YOU JUST USE MY SONS 50 MOTOR AND THROW IT IN A BUG LOL

Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Don't you mean take the bug motor and throw it in the 50. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: +18 extended swingarm for DS250?