CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ron woods or hpr

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ron woods or hpr

ok guys i would like to do some mild work to my ds but which company do u think would be the best to get it down from i dont know much of the hpr guys but see read some good things and bad but also can be said the same about ron woods but that company is also considered to be the grandfather of the ds650 so which to go with....and on the same note...at what compression ratio do i go from pump gas to race...cause id like to get some power but dont think i want to start chipping out 6 bucks a gallon....rather stick to pump gas....ok guys help help help.....will a 2004 manual still work on a 2005 the didnt chance much if anything did they??...well thats alot of questions...but need to get them out...thanks great forum...really helpful

Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default Ron woods or hpr

Go with the builder that makes you feel the best...But if i was from coos bay i would check out TVI.I just feel better when i can get a firm grip on my builders neck it makes for better working relationships.Theres also the bom which is as good as it gets.But of the two you have mentioned woods hands down the winner for the simple fact he builds race proven motors that are designed to run the distance.And his word and buiness ethic's are impeckable. But as most on here know i despise HPR due to poor buiness ethics so im probably not the best choice to listen too.On the subject of HPR.Do history checks on all merntioned that should clear things up on your decisions.CHOOSE WISELY BECAUSE A BOM IS FOREVER.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
I'm a Plumbing contractor and I have some old friends that always called me Pipelayer for some reason?
Default Ron woods or hpr

HPR for big performance all others for good performance The BOM is also with HPR a close 2nd.JMO and personal exp.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ron woods or hpr

What I heard , and only heard as scuttlebutt (no Confermation whatsoever!) just what some of the other forum members have told me is that Eric from HPR went to work for someone else, and Randal is running HPR as a internet parts sevice sales, again thats what I heard, what I been told you can still get HPR Cams, Carps, Pipes ect I havent contacted HPR to if it is true but folks have been writting that they cant get through to them e mail or phone.
You can contact the BOM, or WOODS.
And the HPR guys, Im sorry if my info is wrong if so enlighten us PLEASE.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !
Default Ron woods or hpr

My builder of choice is Jeff Ross (THEBOM). Jeff is a dealer of Ron Wood, Pami, and many other parts companies. He is a great builder and very very easy to work with. One of the nicest people Ive ever met.

As far as which builder is the best. You really cant go wrong, they are all very good.

Good Luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ron woods or hpr

Originally posted by: ERBEDS650
What I heard , and only heard as scuttlebutt (no Confermation whatsoever!) just what some of the other forum members have told me is that Eric from HPR went to work for someone else, and Randal is running HPR as a internet parts sevice sales, again thats what I heard, what I been told you can still get HPR Cams, Carps, Pipes ect I havent contacted HPR to if it is true but folks have been writting that they cant get through to them e mail or phone.
You can contact the BOM, or WOODS.
And the HPR guys, Im sorry if my info is wrong if so enlighten us PLEASE.
ERBE - Although I appreciate how you presented what you had heard, the information is incorrect. Things are changing and basic parts might take awhile. If you are looking for the fastest race motor, it will take time but they are making the fastest motors......for a price. There is a place in this market for the cutting edge custom parts but that market needs to understand the huge dollars involved in going to a race and having what it takes to run the fastest. I

If you are in a hurry and looking for non-custom parts, you will probably be happier to get your parts elsewhere. I wish it didn't have to be that way but I am also looking from the outside, that is what I see and those guys have never expected anything less of me but my honest opinion....for better or for worse.

I will say that AZSAND always cracks me up when HE starts preaching about ethics. LMAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ron woods or hpr

Thanks Ron, say what changes are happening with HPR??

Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ron woods or hpr

I wish I could say......

For those of you that care, keep the whole group in your prayers and an explanation will come out when they are ready.

That is the best I can do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ron woods or hpr

What kind of money you looking to spend ?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ron woods or hpr

Originally posted by: wsy480
ok guys i would like to do some mild work to my ds but which company do u think would be the best to get it down from i dont know much of the hpr guys but see read some good things and bad but also can be said the same about ron woods but that company is also considered to be the grandfather of the ds650 so which to go with....and on the same note...at what compression ratio do i go from pump gas to race...cause id like to get some power but dont think i want to start chipping out 6 bucks a gallon....rather stick to pump gas....ok guys help help help.....will a 2004 manual still work on a 2005 the didnt chance much if anything did they??...well thats alot of questions...but need to get them out...thanks great forum...really helpful

First, sounds like you are just looking to go with a High Compression Piston and an upgraded Cam with new Cam Springs. . . with this set you'll need heavy duty clutch springs.

For the clutch springs - go with Team Pami - the Ron Wood ones are too stiff. Call The Bom and he can get you going.
For the piston - Ron Wood 11:1 would be my choice - I know HPR does a high compression pistion but, not sure if they do 11:1??? 11:1 will let you run pump gas - 91.
For the valve springs - go with Ron Wood (NOT Pami) - maybe I just got a bad run of them from Pami but, I had two-sets that failed early on me. I prefer the shim-under bucket conversion - personal preference.
Port Work - I'm not sure who is doing port work (without larger valves) at a reasonable price (around $400 - TVI may be the best place to look? I think Ron Wood will want to do their $1800 port with larger valves job. Great if that's in your budget but, if not. . . you may talk to TVI or HPR.
Cams - Standard off the shelf A1/A2's may be the best choice for you. TVI, The Bom should be able to help you. Don't go too aggressive or you'll lose your bottom-end (which you want in Oregon) and you'll be changing cam springs more often.
2004 Shop Manual should work fine for a 2005 engine.

That's just me.

As for the other posts. . . man, guess I'm out of it. Sounds like some behind the scene STUFF. Hopefully everyone is doing well - best wishes to everything working out. . .

Quick Reply: Ron woods or hpr