CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Unbiased opinion on the best 450?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbiased opinion on the best 450?

Hey Justin!

The YFZ (IMO) is the fastest. But, I've got a bud that has only done a pipe and air filter to his and it is down right now at the shop. . . may be the crank? Remind me and I'll let you know when he hears from the shop what it is. I think the engine is maxed out. I wouldn't consider this to be a long-term bike for reliability. I know there are a number of them running solid but, that's just my thoughts.

The Honda - not as fast as the YFZ but, haven't heard of problems. I have heard the newer ones are much faster than the earlier models.

The Zuki - one in our group got one. The YFZ spanks it (and that is with the air filter, pipe and power commander.) I don't think he is happy with it compared to how it was hyped.

The KFX - Saw a couple of them in stock form at the hill this weekend. From the time I saw them shoot the hill they did as I would expect a bone-stock bike do. They weren't the slowest out there but, not the quickest. Tough to say until they start showing up with a pipe on them.

Got my Wife the Raptor 700 about 8 mos. ago and am very pleased with it. With the three-mods (Pipe/Filter/Programmer) it will smoke the YFZ's. This would be my choice if it were my money.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree and believe it or not, the 700R actually has a lower center of gravity than th tall, narrow Honda.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

absolutely what I would get before ANY 450. The 700 from Yamy is the best bike out right now... in my opinion anyway.

The YFZ's are fast, just not certain they stay together all that well.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Its funny you guys say that.Because DIRTWHEELS had a comparrison where they said the honda had the most power over the yfz and ltz stock form.I dont remember who won it overall though.You guyz remember the month that one was out?

Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

If your gonna buy a 450, my opinion is the 450R.

If your gonna buy the best all around bike on the market today, my opinion is the 700R.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Forgot all about the 700. That could be an option. Anyone know the weight of the 700 off hand. I was trying to have a quad that would work for my boy as he gets older, but I can ride in the meantime. You guys know how that works. I already have one for the wife so I can't use that excuse with her again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nathanpri08
Its funny you guys say that.Because DIRTWHEELS had a comparrison where they said the honda had the most power over the yfz and ltz stock form.I dont remember who won it overall though.You guyz remember the month that one was out?
I remember that. The Honda made the most power on the dyno but it was a slower revving motor. As I recall the 0 to 300 ft run was almost identical.

After riding with a buddy that had a Honda for awhile, I got some seat time on one....it was an '06. The motor was strong enough but it felt like it had a very narrow power band. The other thing was it was really tippy compared to his YFZ. When he had his YFZ I had to bust **** to keep up with him in the trails. After he got the Honda I was on his rear bumper all the time. The suspension on the Honda didn't have as much travel as the YFZ, it was harsher and got unruly in the bumpy spots. I just didn't like it at all.

As far as reliability, I don't think any of the 450's are designed for durability. They are at best a throw away bike after a year or two in my opinion. Yamaha claims a topend rebuild is necessary after about 120 - 130 hours. For me that would be about 3 months. Honda is crazy on that point. I believe they claim a topend rebuild at 30 hrs.......mostly because it is a race bike and their legal team is a bit more conservative.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

396 dry. It carries an extra gallon of fuel so it is about 50 lbs heavier than a YFZ and about 20 lbs heavier than the LT450R

Old 03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Im personally acquainted with both the yfz and the 450r and I must say the yfz will beat you to death when compared to the R.

The yfz seems to be just a touch faster than the R with all things being equal.

But the R seems to be a little more reliable in the durability department.

But, the 700R would also be a sure contender in what your wanting out of a quad. Not to mention the reverse and a very reliable powerplant when only mildly modded.

JMO.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

id wait it out a few months.....should be a offering from ktm soon and the kfx should have good info on them by then.not the best time to buy right now
but i would buy bike that fits you and your style best at this time,they are all pretty equal with bolt ons with the yfz having a slight advantage in a drag race

Quick Reply: Unbiased opinion on the best 450?