CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds650 rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds650 rear axle

If the axle moves up and down but not in and out or back to front would the bearings be bad or is it just loose? This is on a 05 ds650x. I have never had a rear end apart or seen how the rear end is set up. Please help.

Thanks

Tim

Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ds650 rear axle

Any movement is bad - probably bearing trouble. It not that hard to fix. do a search I am sure the instructions are on here somewhere. I repack mine once a year and can do it in about an hour now !!!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default ds650 rear axle

Thanks for the help MRDS650. I am going to get new bearings this weekend.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ds650 rear axle

I also forgot to tell you that if you are going to buy new bearing and seals, buy them from your local auto parts/bearing dealer. It will be half price of what everything is from the bombardier dealer.

The part # you need too buy them in any place that sells bearings is (32008X)

I have yet to find the exact seal - aftermarket. You can get close but the seal is not really deep enough. If I remember the factory one is 10mm deep and the closest i could get was 8mm. It still worked but i liked the factory seal better because it came up flush to the outside of the carrier.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default ds650 rear axle

Thanks for the part #. I made some calls and pep boys are the same price as the dealer. The dealer is 26 and pep boys is 25. But I have a friend that works in the auto parts and I hope he can get me theme at half the price. Thanks for the help.

p.s. The seals are 16 at the dealer.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default ds650 rear axle

Procedure I sent to someone about a week ago and once you do all of this jack up the quad and see if it is fine by running it through the gears and also run it down the street and make sure everything is tight.

I have done this procedure many times because after tearing up my bearings after a while I just decided to repack the bearings every month with new grease and clean the old ones...I have a 2001 ds 650 so the rear may have changed a little depending on your model year...Well you will want to first start out by taking off the brake caliper from the holder where are 2 bolts holding it in place I believe they are either a 13 mm get that out of the way and you will want to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the carrier tight into the swingarm that way you can turn the carrier and loosen the tension on your chain(they should be about a 15mm ...Take your sprocket cover off the front sprocket and take off the nut holding it in place (I have large sockets to do so, but you may be able to fit a large wrench in there and you will want to put the parking break on to loosen it)...once that is off take to front sprocket off along with the chain...Once that is done you will want to take the tires and hubs off and jack up the quad...there is a nut on the brake side of the quad called an axle nut and there is a bolt about a 10mm and you will want to loosen the bolt first and once that is loose you should be able to turn the axle nut and make it loose allowing for the tension to come off the rear axle...On mine there is a spacer/washer that holds a ring inside of it and if you tap the washer really quick the ring will pop out...take off the whole brake assembly and the axle should slide out through the sprocket side...now you will want to clean up all of these parts and inspect what you have...I would recommend getting 2 new bearings, oil seals, and you may need the part that go onto each hub they are a very thin metal that go on each hub I forget what they are called at this moment...Also you will want to check your carrier to make sure it isn't scored badly and check your sprockets for wear and if you do replace both sprockets and the chain...Pop out the races from the old bearings by using a hammer and screwdriver but be careful to not damage the carrier...Put the new races in and repack the rear bearings and carrier with heavy duty grease and push the oil seals in but so that they are flush with the outside of the carrier on both ends...slide the axle through the carrier and put the chain on, now you will want to put the brake hub and rotor assembly back onto the axle...Take the washer and the ring and put it on the end like and slowly tighten the rear axle nut putting tension on the ring and as you are doing this tap around the ring with a screwdriver and hammer so that it fits into the groove on the washer...then take a large wrench that will fit over the axle nut and snug it up and then tighten up the bolt...put the hubs and tires on, caliper and you will want to put the front sprocket on and then turn your carrier in the rear so that you still have some clack in your chain then tighten up the bolts in the rear...That should be it, but if you need to take out the carrier let me know because you will need snap ring pliers and the carrier can be a little tricky to mess with