CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Barnett 9 disc clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barnett 9 disc clutch adjustment

Ok so I got my clutch in. The lever feels good, pulls free etc. But it seems like the 3/16th or so freeplay on the lever isn't cutting it. Only if I take all the freeplay & some more out can I get it to work right. Otherwise I can't shift. Like it wont release fully. If I make the lever extremely "tight" with what seems like negative freeplay it will it shift right. So I moved the bracket on top of the clutch housing back one spline. Although the lever is now screwed in all the way to the stop, it stills seems I have to take more than all the freeplay out backing back it out again (maybe 3 or 4 threads?). If I do that then it shifts fine. But its like the cable then is always tight. Know what I mean? Is this normal with the Barnett 9 disc clutch? Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YEs this is pretty common with the Barnett. Mine does shift better when tight but your taking pressure off the clutch plates running it like this. I chose to keep a little slack in the cable and deal with the notchy shifting until it gets good and warmed up. Go ride it for 10 minutes and see if it feels a little better. Did you soak the clutch in oil prior to installing?

Old 04-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I soaked them for about 45min.

I noticed after riding 10 minutes or so it does shift better. This on my first night on the new clutch. The next time I rode it was bad again, after 10 minutes it gets a little better. It's like it starts over each time I ride. weird...

But when I say bad. I mean I might have to shut it off to find neutral! 1st to 2nd is hard to even shift. I'm afraid to bend or break something mechanical when it feels like that.
It does seem like it grabs. it did bark the tires into 2nd gear on the road.

This stupid NW Ohio weather. I need a nice day to ride for an hour & really get the feel of it down. I just want to make sure everything is A-OK before I beat on it. Overall are you happy with the Barnett givin the pros & cons of it?

Old 04-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!

Yeah when its cold it can be a biatch to get back in neutral. I often have to shut er down as well.

I have removed and re-installed the Barnett at least 3 times or more to double check I installed properly and its the same routine everytime. I have considered going back to stock. Well see.....

Old 04-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

Mine was the same way when I installed it as well. I adjusted it everyway from Sunday. Set it back to kind of a happy medium and rode it. This clutch does take a bit to break in I found. I could not find netual if my life depended on it when i first installed it. After a few rides it got better and better. Now I have no problem at all.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah same here. Neutral impossible to find but today I managed to find it (although it was a bit notchy... took a few tries to find it). I've read you REALLY need to break it in. I only have one real ride on mine. Hopefully it gets better with time.