CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds650 no spark....getting frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds650 no spark....getting frustrated

thnx i need it bad

Old 04-17-2007, 02:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The wires between the pick-up coil and the ignition coils are tested by checking resistance (ohms). If that isn't exactly right, you will either have no spark or intermittant spark. I don't think you can really band-aid what the pick-up coil is sending to the coils by rigging either a resister or an amplifier and get a consistent result if there is an underlying problem.

I would look at the gray connector between the pick-up coil wires that come out of the stator housing and the wiring harness (usually found on the left side of the motor) check that to make sure it is clean and a good connection. Then I would try another CDI as long as all grounds check out fine. (sounds like you have already done this). The next thing I would check is the pick-up coil by testing resistance against what the manual calls for.

If your rectifier is killing too much voltage, you may not be getting enough to fire the coils so if you can get another one of those to try, do it.

Everything after the rectifier is basically low voltage and the coils kick it into gear and go really high voltage. I think your problem is either in the rectifier or in the pick-up coil if the CDI checked out fine.

I have actually never had a pick-up coil go bad on one of these motors come to think of it.......

Old 04-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer

well the rectifier is preaty cheap so im desprate enough that i thuink im just ganna go buy a new one . cuz ive tryed everything else ...

Old 04-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Are fuses are fine? and you mentioned that you get spark when you mess with the killswitch, but how strong is the spark and how old are the plugs and are you sure it's electrical?If it has a spark then I don't think that is your problem.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Something is causing the ohm reading to be low from the pick-up to the coils. That is what is concerning me. I don't see how fuses or spark plugs could cause that, but I do see how that could cause either a lack of spark or intermittant spark which he seems to have.

Unless I am misunderstanding what Mitch is describing....that is always possible. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have had a pick up coil go bad and it was a pain to diagnois, just quit in the middle of a ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
THERE IS NO DYNAMIC TEST FOR A BAD COIL! !!!!! Just replace it. It showed the correct resistance everytime I tested it staticly but as soon as it was time to fire the bike up and the fly wheel was spinning it just wouldn't send the signal to the spark plug coils. It was working intermittently at first than just quit altogether. It was still reading the correct resistance in static mode. $70 bucks later the pain was gone. Just replace it! as long as you have already eliminated all the standard stuff.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

ok . well the fuses are perfect . and if the rectifier was no good shoulndt the engine run for a bit just off the battery? but either way we have checked the cdi witch was good . actualy went and bought a new one just to make sure . but the new one is a procom so im not even ganna use it . we've tested all the ground . there all good . today i went over all the wires they are all connected perfect. so i suspect the pick up coil . and i have for a while . but i just dont wanna go buy another part and not need it like i did with the useless procom cdi witch will probably ruin my quad. but im desperate so im just ganna go buy the pick up coil unless someone has something else i can test ... and if anyone knows of an internet site that i can buy a pick up coil for cheaper than 160$ canadian pls let me know befour i go to the dealer

Old 04-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

have you tried looking at the magnets on the flywheel?? might have thrown one. ive had that kick my *** for a long time on a motor before

Old 04-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

theres only the one magnet and its still magnetic

Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

and if there was two and one lets say fell off it would only fire half the time then. so i dont think the magnet is the problem . hopefully its not its 650$ for one over here

Quick Reply: ds650 no spark....getting frustrated