CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic

Any suggestions how to remove scratches. I tried this stuff called PC Racing Plastic Renew. I found it to be nothing more than sandpaper followed by what I call Floor Wax. I followed the directions and now it looks like CRAP with a shine..

Please help!

Thanks,

-Moose

Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....
Default Plastic

Clicky

I read in another forum where guys where using this and having satisfactory success.............

Good Luck

Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plastic

This past summer I set out to take out all the minor scratches on my Raptor caused from riding (boots, pants, etc). I started with 400 grit sand paper, then 800 and ended with 1200 (sanding for days). All sanding was done "wet". I orginally hoped to leave a flat black finish, but the sanded plastics were too blotchy and not worthy.

I used plastic renew on the smooth plastics, carefully using an automotive type wax applicator and small pore kitchen sponge with amazing results. This bike is posted in my pics page (it's from a distance). If you take your time, sand, sand, sand some more, sand, etc. it will end up looking brights and beautiful.

I think the hardest part was applying the Plastic Renew without causing bubbles . I think I ended up using 1/2 the bottle on ALL the plastics with a total of 12 coats. This finished product looks like glass and much better than when the plastics were new. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plastic

I am in the process of refinishing mine. I grew up in a furniture refinishing shop, my dad's, so I have several years experience with bringing the old back to new! And I have sanded enough for everyone on this site!!!! That was all I was allowed to do from about 12 yo. until I was 16. And yeah, Gadget hit the nail on the head! If you take your time, sand, sand, sand some more, sand, etc. it will end up looking brights and beautiful. Start with a med. to heavy grit 220 - 400 and just keep working up. Use light pressure and try to keep your hand going sideways, so you don't have lines from between your fingers. Once you start sanding in a certain direction, don't change!!!! It is sooo much harder to buff the sandpaper scratches out!!!!
I haven't tried the plastic renew, so I don't know about it.
Much like the sanding process, I use a medium/heavy rubbing compound applyed with a waxing sponge or even a paper towel...doesn't really matter, you are just getting it on there and spreading it out. Then buff off with a rotary buffer/waxer. Not the vibrating ones, it has to be rotary so it will create enough friction/heat. Then go to a light compound and repeat the process. I then use Plastic X (they sell it at autoparts stores, it is supposed to be for clear plastics such as headlights, but it works great for all plastic. It is basically a really fine rubbing compound. Repeat the process. Maybe even 2 times with that. Then finally 3 days later, LOL, I uses "Mother's Back to Black". And put it on and buff it out the same way! You can do that 2 or 3 times depending on desired shine. Make sure to keep your buffing bonnets clean and use a new one for each diff. compound/polish. !!!!! Also, allow a little time after application of the product for it to set up a bit before buffing. Unless your specific compound says to leave it wet for a commercial buffer.
Do that and you will have beautiful new looking plastics and be finished in almost the same amount of time it took me to write this post! LOL...hope it helps.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default Plastic

Some plastics are self healing meaning you reheat them the scratches disapear i use a heat gun being carefull not to over heat them and my plastics look great pratice on the under side of a fender corner. too much heat it will remove the scratches but leave a white haze you might be alright though if your plastics are white or light color i have all black plastics.