CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

drag racing setups

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag racing setups

Okay a local drag racing series is starting up this spring and runs all summer long, so im setting up my DS for the drags. The track is a clay dirt mix. I was wondering what is the best tire for that i have razr's right now and i was wondering if i should invest in some 4 sno paddle tires. My next question is what should i do for suspension, i was thinking about borrowing my buddies 400ex shocks to lower it down some, will this work?

and lastly i am going to fabricate my own wheelie bar as i do not want to pay 300+ dollars for something i can make myself for 30-40 dollars. okay so i need to know how long should it be from where it will bolt onto the swingarm to where i mount the wheel i was thinking around 3.5 feet? and also how far from the ground should the wheel be, my guess on that was around 6 inches or so? thanks guys

Old 04-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

I think you should make your wheelie bar longer. Like 6 feet, or close to it. Make it out of cromoly tubing if you can. As far as wheel hieght, you'll have to play with it to find where it will hookup the best. On dirt I would start pretty low. You can try 6 inches to start with. With a wheelie bar you'll want your rear end to be pretty solid. I would say either put a strut in place of your rear shock, or get some marvin shaws. You'll also want your ride hieght to be alot lower than stock. Try to get your swing arm and your a arms to be level with the bottom of the frame. On a groomed track you could put struts all the way around it.

Good Luck...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

you can just crank the preload all the way down on your ds shocks and it will slam the front end

Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DS650powe
i am going to fabricate my own wheelie bar as i do not want to pay 300+ dollars for something i can make myself for 30-40 dollars.
I'm no drag racer but that price doesn't sound like you were planning on running cromoly??? For both weight and strength you need to use cromoly... mild steel tubing will not last, unless you build a 100 lb wheelie bar.

For the rear suspension, make yourself a solid aluminum strut

Old 04-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: supersonictoys
you can just crank the preload all the way down on your ds shocks and it will slam the front end
This is actually true for ride height.

Set your ride height so your A-arms are parallel to the ground. If done properly, your frame, swingarm and A-arms will all be parallel to the ground.

I don't like shocks on flat drags. I use those on the hill. If you have the fabricating abilities to build a wheelie-bar, you sure have the ability to make proper length struts out of the left over tubing.

I would take a piece of 1" or similar PVC plastic pipe and cut lengths to go where your shocks are (between the mounts) until you have your ride height the way you want it. Then use those pieces of PVC as your template for your strut length.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Have one or two people sit on the bike until it gets down to the proper ride hieght. Then measure from the top bolt where the shock mounts to the frame to the bottom bolt where the shock mounts to the A arm or swing arm. That will get you your strut measurments.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
amd
Pro Rider

He wont get the ride height he needs with the shocks he has. He cant get the preload loose enough with the stock 03 DS shocks. I would run Pro Wedges or 4 snows. Like others said, make the wheelie bar around 6 feet. I use an angle finder to find the length I need for the swing arm and the a-arms. Then you will have to play with gearing and wheelie bar height to get that sweet spot....

Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. I have an 03 and I loosen'd the front shocks all the way, to drop it down as far as I could and it still sat way too high.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

thanks for all the input, but would 400ex shocks lower it more than if i adjusted my stock shocks enough? i would build solid struts but for the class that im in they are not allowed. thanks again guys

Old 05-01-2007, 12:14 AM
amd
Pro Rider

I believe 400 EX shocks will work. I think they are around 16" but dont quote me on that, It has been awhile since I measured some. You will want to get some that are in good shape, and run then a stiff as you can. I would take a measure though and me sure the length of the 400 EX shocks. I believe Raptor shocks are 16" and Banshee shocks are 16 1/4" Anywhere from 15 3/4 to 16" is what you want.

Quick Reply: drag racing setups