CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds450 engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds450 engine

It says 345lb on the site...

Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

the frame is much more than 5 pounds lighter - but it takes on a weight gain for the EFI system. gotta take the good with the bad, EFI is heavier than carburetion, and they shed the frame weight to make up for it.

regardless, it doesn't change the fact of seriously less unsprunge weight.
we've been talking about unsprung weight, as well as rotating mass, on these forums for years. a manufacturer took it into serious consideration this time around. its a mega big deal.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hightower

the frame is much more than 5 pounds lighter - but it takes on a weight gain for the EFI system. gotta take the good with the bad, EFI is heavier than carburetion, and they shed the frame weight to make up for it.

regardless, it doesn't change the fact of seriously less unsprunge weight.

we've been talking about unsprung weight, as well as rotating mass, on these forums for years. a manufacturer took it into serious consideration this time around. its a mega big deal.</end quote></div>

This is exactly right! The chromolly axle and the lightened hubs will be huge. It will be fairly inexpensive to make really fast in that about all you need to do is extend the swingarm and extract power from the motor. It just isn't going to pencil out anymore to look at axles and a-arms. The gain will be too small for the money.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Default ds450 engine

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Trx440

It's a Rotax engine and it's the same head design from the Tuono and RSV Aprilia's. This thing is gonna haul the mail.

Now, if we could just get Aprilia to build us a quad with that 550 V-Twin in it...........</end quote></div>

6 months the DS650 is no more.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

not thrilled, looks like the honda still makes more power in the useable power range. who it going to drive around at max rpm all day? you will need that extra couple hp way on top to catch the honda which has gotten way ahead of you off the line. anyone who rides a 4 stroke knows that you wont be running it at those rpm's. when you run your ds's up the hill are you at max rpm or kind of grunting in the midrange power? also the bikes overall weight isnt near as thrilling as they made you expect..... I'm sure the bike will go "OK" but it sounds like its just going to be another "run of the mill" 4 stroke 450. ...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]and yes its ugly from the front.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

I agree, it has a ugly front. Looks a lot better when the lights/fenders are tooken off for the hardcore.

How does BRP think they can take the holeshot when it doesnt make the proper power?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

the only hp chart I saw showed the ds450 making power right in line with the others up until the point of it leaving them behind. yes the honda was slightly above it up to that point, but it was above the other two black lines, and not knowing what scale that chart is makes it awefully hard to make much of an accurate assumption.
besides, the low end of my DS blows all 450's away in the HP dept., but that doesn't change the fact that many a yfz eat it off the line.

I'm just staying optomistic - we all always pick everything apart with assumption before we ever get a chance to experience it, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the worse. it may suck, and it may shine, but til then I'm gonna enjoy the finding out part of it all.

regardless, this won't be the bike for big guys, me included, just like no other 450 is either, which is why the raptor still exists and got revamped, and why I always continue to ride my DS650.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: supersonictoys

not thrilled, looks like the honda still makes more power in the useable power range. who it going to drive around at max rpm all day? you will need that extra couple hp way on top to catch the honda which has gotten way ahead of you off the line.</end quote></div>

Actually top end horsepower will give you a tremendous advantage over high torque or good bottom end. The engine isn't the only way to increase torque or bottom end.

If you have a motor that makes great top end power, you are only a gearing change away from matching or beating the honda's bottom end. Unfortunately for the honda, they can't make up that top end with a gearing change.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

so nut, how long do you think if geared properly this motor will last if you run it all the way up the hil at 11,000 rpms or so? its a 450cc single . if it was a 4 cylinder it would be an 1800cc motor. would you run an 1800cc 4 cylinder motor at 11000 rpm an call that its sweet spot and expect it to last? any idea what piston speed would be?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Default ds450 engine

"not thrilled, looks like the honda still makes more power in the useable power range. who it going to drive around at max rpm all day? you will need that extra couple hp way on top to catch the honda which has gotten way ahead of you off the line. anyone who rides a 4 stroke knows that you wont be running it at those rpm's. when you run your ds's up the hill are you at max rpm or kind of grunting in the midrange power? also the bikes overall weight isnt near as thrilling as they made you expect..... I'm sure the bike will go "OK" but it sounds like its just going to be another "run of the mill" 4 stroke 450. ...and yes its ugly from the front."

Here's one of those posts I think you'll look back on and say "what was I thinking".

First stock dyno graphs seem almost useless to me. The graphs change drastically as soon as the exhaust is changed, even just the tip removed.
This isn't a 650, it's based on a high revving street bike motor. Short stroke, big valves and dual springs, large throttle body, this was meant to be revved high.
Even if changing the exhaust, filter, and fuel and ignition mapping can't recover some low end, the lighter weight rotating parts will make up most of the loss.
There's also more to track or XC racing than power and that's handling and suspension. By the sounds of it the DS450 has got that area covered.
This bike should make a good hill shooter as well. Match the exhaust and maybe a larger throttle body off the Mille with a 14 to 1 piston and race gas and this bike rip up a hill.
If someone's in the market for a 450, this should be the bike that has the most bang for their buck.

Quick Reply: ds450 engine