CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds450 engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ds450 engine

It is what it is..... Another 450 MX based machine that will get lost in the crowd. Scale the frame up to accept a 700cc+ EFI at or under 400lbs and they will get my attention.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds450 engine

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DSengineer

It is what it is..... Another 450 MX based machine that will get lost in the crowd. Scale the frame up to accept a 700cc+ EFI at or under 400lbs and they will get my attention.</end quote></div>

My thoughts too, but I'll be a little more forgiving...
Gimme a 450-500lb Renegade800.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 PM
TPR
The Champ
Default ds450 engine

The motor this was derived from makes 140hp stock in twin form. There is a lot of power to be made with this bad boy....

TPR

Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Range Rover
Default ds450 engine

When I send my MX(motorcycle) motor out for work they always take a little out of the low end and move it higher because they want to extend the powerband further so you won't have to shift as often plus you have the added horsepower.

Talked to someone who rode it (mag. tester and racer) thier first seat of the pants impression was it had more power than enything out there low to top end.
Tests will be posted soon!

This motor should have a higher lifespan than the others because my friends racing Aprilla has 6 to 9,000 miles on it with no engine work, Rotax motors historically have been bulletproof.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

I cant wait to see what it will do with mods........who rides a stock bike anyway???

Might make a good pit bike LOL

Old 06-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ds450 engine

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hightower

regardless, this won't be the bike for big guys, me included, just like no other 450 is either, which is why the raptor still exists and got revamped, and why I always continue to ride my DS650.</end quote></div>

dunno about that hightower. I had posted some time ago asking generally about the ds650 due to my size, which as I recall from your post we are about the same dimensions. Since then I got a chance to put some serious seat time on my cousins suzuki r450 @ winchester bay. I was amazed by how roomy that thing was considering it looked so small. The wide stance and roomy ergo's made me feel more at home on it than any other quad I've ridden plus it ripped my 250lb's around no problem. Hands down the funnest quad I've ever been on in the sand.

I just sold my yz450 this weekend and had planned on getting a DS650 till I road that zuki. Might hold off though cuz the ds450 looks like it might have comparable dimensions unless I'm reading things wrong. Listed DS450 width is narrower than the suzuki but the wheelbase is the same, bit confusing.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

the quad as whole is incredible. looks to have big time potential. I just hate it when they get you all pumped up in vids, by saying 20 to 30lbs lighter. then its only 5. I understand the unsprung weight is reduced, the leverage on the knuckles reduced, hollow chromo axle, extended reach hubs. its all great. I just hated getting teased for a month.

one more question comes to mind. is a ATK in the same class as a ds450? if so, was it compaired in the engine department. I know they are like 370lbs. but I thought they had like 43 to 46 hp stock. and rev to 11 or 12k.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

mystereid. I do realize this isnt a 650 thats why I mentioned that if it was one cylinder of a high reving streetbike engine at 1800cc'w it wouldnt last long at 11000 rpm and that looks like where its going to make peak power. and how many of us on this forum are MX racers anyway?? we are mostly guys who want a big comfortable dune couch that hauls azz. most of these guys would look like a monkey screwin a jug riding one of these little 450's. I guess I'm trying to look at this bike from a DS riders point of view and this bike in my opinion isnt of any benefit to 95% of the DS riding world. 5 pounds less and less power through most of the rpm range and probably $2000 more than a yamaha 450? . it doesnt thrill me . DSengineer, you said it perfect

Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: supersonictoys

so nut, how long do you think if geared properly this motor will last if you run it all the way up the hil at 11,000 rpms or so? its a 450cc single . if it was a 4 cylinder it would be an 1800cc motor. would you run an 1800cc 4 cylinder motor at 11000 rpm an call that its sweet spot and expect it to last? any idea what piston speed would be?</end quote></div>

I've been cranking 8K-9K on my DS650 for over 6 years, still like new with never a breakdown ever,
piston speed depends on stroke, the ds450 has similair piston size (97mm vs. 100mm) but the stroke is very short compaired to the DS650, this makes the piston speed actually very similair to a ds650, but at a much higher rpm - I'd venture to say that a 450 piston is traveling very close to the same speed at 10k-11k as a 650 piston is traveling at 8k-9k, this is all off the top of my head but gotta be close.
reving it to the moon would not bother me a bit, and besides we all know that rotax is known for durability and these vactors have been addressed in the engineering.
just look at street bikes - they rev 11K all day long. When taking Curtis' DSXR1000 up the mt. last year I was concerned about over reving it, he said don't worry man, the rev limiter cuts out at 14K!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds450 engine

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mako253

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hightower

regardless, this won't be the bike for big guys, me included, just like no other 450 is either, which is why the raptor still exists and got revamped, and why I always continue to ride my DS650.</end quote></div>

dunno about that hightower. I had posted some time ago asking generally about the ds650 due to my size, which as I recall from your post we are about the same dimensions. Since then I got a chance to put some serious seat time on my cousins suzuki r450 @ winchester bay. I was amazed by how roomy that thing was considering it looked so small. The wide stance and roomy ergo's made me feel more at home on it than any other quad I've ridden plus it ripped my 250lb's around no problem. Hands down the funnest quad I've ever been on in the sand.

I just sold my yz450 this weekend and had planned on getting a DS650 till I road that zuki. Might hold off though cuz the ds450 looks like it might have comparable dimensions unless I'm reading things wrong. Listed DS450 width is narrower than the suzuki but the wheelbase is the same, bit confusing.</end quote></div>

Mako you're prolly right in alot of instances, but in my case at 6-8" tall none of the 450's fit me, I'm talking ergonomically in terms of relationship of seat to pegs to bars more so than length and width. and the new revamped raptor - the front fenders are in the way of my knees! this is why I road ATC's up until the intro of the DS.

Quick Reply: ds450 engine