CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My totaled outlander 800

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My totaled outlander 800

Hit a rock that tweaked the frame, broke drive shaft and slung u joint into transmission and it cracked case all the way around from the actual shift bar to the other side. Insurance paid if off for me thank god. I bought it back and bought a transmission from ebay pretty cheap. Even with the skid plates it didn't help. Someone please talk some sense into can am and get rid of these junk frames. Their service dept is a joke. I was actually told that the cvt is designed to leak water in and leave me stranded in 2 foot of water while crossing a river. COME ON!!!! Thank God that I have enough sense to fix some of their minor screw ups on my own. An awesome machine but I guess that they all have their downfalls. Sorry, I wasn't going 70 and wasted.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

Some would say to sue them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] CanAm makes a good machine, but not great.

Just kidding.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

I love it how its always the riders that have the 800's (maximum power) that crash their bikes and bend the frames all to heck because they hit something. and then they blame the designers for not building stronger frames.

however I agree.. yes the CVT leaks, and yes it't a bad design, and yes everyone knows it, and yes, even can am is fixing the issue on the 2008's and yes there are very easy fixes to tweek the desing of the CVT and make it water tight. However, I don;t know if you read yer manual, or watched yer operators DVD but it clearly states "Do Not go in water that is deeper than the running boards of the bike (about 12 inches of water)
so I dont think it is accurate for yout to say that the machine is designed to leave you stranded in 2 feet of water. according to the manual you are exceeding the design specifcations by 100% The CVT is not designed for water in excess of 12 inches. so if you want to use it in water you have little choice but to implement the fixes for thouse so called "minor screw ups" or don't go in the water.

by the way.. its less than $50 to RTV the CVT cover and snorkel the CVT. and less than 2 hours of your time so just do that and be done with it.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Just go buy an Arctic Cat.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Range Rover

Lol.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

lololololol

Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Blowedpony, no offense but your name reminded me of a joke I heard years ago.

It is about a backward Canadian Mounted Police that instead of jumping on his horse and blowing his whistle, he instead jumped on his whistle and - well you know.

I am not picking on you, it just reminded me of that joke. And I began to chuckle to myself over the joke not your name.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: blowedpony

Hit a rock that tweaked the frame, broke drive shaft and slung u joint into transmission and it cracked case all the way around from the actual shift bar to the other side. Insurance paid if off for me thank god. I bought it back and bought a transmission from ebay pretty cheap. Even with the skid plates it didn't help. Someone please talk some sense into can am and get rid of these junk frames. Their service dept is a joke. I was actually told that the cvt is designed to leak water in and leave me stranded in 2 foot of water while crossing a river. COME ON!!!! Thank God that I have enough sense to fix some of their minor screw ups on my own. An awesome machine but I guess that they all have their downfalls. Sorry, I wasn't going 70 and wasted.</end quote></div>
Can't wreck into rocks on any brand of machine.

Canam does not have junk frames, they just aren't designed to take wrecks into rocks. Yes, the bottom spar is easily dented and you got skid plates for that. Skid plates won't make up for a crash.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: buckaroo50

Blowedpony, no offense but your name reminded me of a joke I heard years ago.

It is about a backward Canadian Mounted Police that instead of jumping on his horse and blowing his whistle, he instead jumped on his whistle and - well you know.

I am not picking on you, it just reminded me of that joke. And I began to chuckle to myself over the joke not your name.</end quote></div>
Of course everyone who sees pony's nickname thinks the same thing and lets it go. I took it as a horse that's been ridden hard, cowboy jargon.

Can't see any reason for blowed pony to choose this nickname either way, joke or winded horse. Maybe he's got another meaning, but it really doesn't matter.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

HA HA, Glad everyone got a laugh from my screen name. Nothing to do with a horse fella's, just have a couple of mustangs. A 68 fastback and a 90 LX with all of the mods including supercharger, thus the blowedpony name. Anyways, I love my Can Am, my brother in law is an engineer and mechanic for them on the evinrudes, not four wheelers. I guess it is my fault for expecting an all terrain vehicle to do anything other than go over dirt roads or graded railroad beds. Get off my back would you. I break it, I fix it. If it isn't under warranty, I bitch about it, and then I fix it. I am not implying that I should get a new frame because I worked this thing over. I like it alot, just not how easily it bends.

Quick Reply: My totaled outlander 800