CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My thumb hurts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thumb hurts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bfb750BF

Stay away from the "Handy Throttle" made by Handy Throttle. This product is very dangerous & the installation is poorly done for ATV use. I believe this Product should be pulled from the market before someone gets killed using it, I've seen it used on another ATV & it caused that rider to lose control of his Grizz660...</end quote></div>

so whats the problem with the handy throttle ?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default My thumb hurts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mud Hog

I never thought about adding a twist throttle to an atv. First I thought it was to rough for the sleds or the atv's to have them but then figured they use them on the dirt bikes. How hard is it to add them to an atv and where would you find one? Thanks.</end quote></div>

Using a twist throttle on an ATV or a sled is a bit different than a bike. With a bike you are leaning into your turns and not really turning the handle bars, thus able to keep more control of the twist throttle. On an ATV and sled you are using the bars to make your turns. When taking a hard left turn on a atv for example, you are pushing your throttle hand away from you and leaning left which makes it hard to control your throttle if using a twist type. Also suspensions are a bit better on bikes than atv's. I'm sure most people have hit a rut and before and it has thrown them a little off kilter. If you have a twist throttle it is much easier to accidentally bump the throttle possibly causing you to wipe out. I know there are allot of atv's with twist throttles out there and people who own them will probably say they prefer them but in my experience I would stick with a thumb throttle. It's all rider preference of course. There are aftermarket companies that make a left side thumb throttle for sleds which I really like that makes it able to control throttle from either side. It helps in the turns being able to switch hands for throttle operation but I don't know if they are made for atv's. Maybe they could be retrofitted for an ATV. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default My thumb hurts

I had the same problem with the outlander. I ended up getting a thumb and wrist support to help with the pain. It's much more comfortable. It's the same as the one on this page http://www.passbracing.com/wrist.html (called the wrist support with thumb about half way down on the page)