CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Power Now Carb Unit for DS 650???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Now Carb Unit for DS 650???

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TheStir

I wish they would show a full throttle dyno comparison. The only ones I see are 1/2. If there was no loss on the topend I would think they would post those results as well.

I did see they have one them for us TM owners under Harley for the HSRs...</end quote></div>

if it is good enough for Steve Hengeveld, I think it does not hurt the top end much.

I got one for my new TM48. no ride repot for a while still 115 in the dunes and I still need to replace my A-arms and swingarm.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look forward to your ride report CALDS650, and I hope it works out as well as its advertised.

I would still like to see a full throttle dyno comparison, just to know if there is any loss. I'm not saying there is, I would just like to know. It may be the next best thing to sliced bread, but I'm still a little skeptical.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The power now product will give varying results because not everyones carb is tuned the same. It also will give a different result on the stock VA carb than it will on the aftermarket HV slide carbs.

When properly tuned, there shouldn't be a hesitation at any rpm or throttle position. If the power now got rid of a hesitation, I think your pilot jet or your needle position, or possibly your A/F screw could have been richened up and you would have gotten the same result. It seems plausible that the power now could act as a bandaid for carburation that is not optimally tuned, imo.

I think Fatholly nailed it with the comment about the DS snorkle. The power now probably would compensate for some of the direct mount filter shortcomings on the bottom end and lower midrange. I don't see how it could help a properly tuned carb with the snorkle in place.

Some will see an advantage, others won't...........depending on their tuning.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

I feel that I should have more clear with my response. No hesitation while riding. If anything this is the best running machine I have ever had. It always starts right up and has plenty of power. What I should have said was. When in natural and you fit the throttle there is small hesitation. I have noticed this on just about everything I have ever owned (Stock). With it installed the hesitation was gone.

The only issue on this DS is that it seems to run hot and boils my legs. I called Big Gun and they told me my Main of 175 was correct as suggested in another post. WetterWatter made no difference. I did over 600 miles last week in Northern Maine and my fan always came on before my friends 2002 with the Ron Woods Stage 1 kit. I am going to start it up tonight and spray Carb Cleaner around the snorkel just to make sure I have no leaks.

But I will say this Quad is Awesome!!!!!

-Moose

Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not to pick on you, Moose.........just trying to help so here goes....

How can Big Gun be sure about your jetting needs? All they know is that they don't get very many complaints from your area with that jet size. lol

First, what octane are you running and are you stock compression?

Second, if you are stock compression and running premium......I would jet up to 177 & 180 and see if you lose performance or not. If your bike is running warm from a lean condition, you might gain power by adding a little more fuel.

It probably would cost you about $7 + 10 min of labor to try it and it might help your performance.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer

DSNUT,

They told me from 170 to 175 is OK. But, I can see what you are saying. Since the WetterWater didn't help I will try your suggestion. More power is always a good thing and for $7..... That's only like 2 Captain and Cokes!

Thanks,

-Moose

Old 08-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I hope it improves things! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

This topic was covered several years ago and the consensus then as it is now is that there are much better ways to spend your $100 for the DS. I believe it was Old Man Racing, or one of the more knowledgable folks amoung us from that time, who tinkered with the whole air splitting theory and came to the conclusion that the stock snorkel was one of the better on the market.
This gismo may work well on the Yamaha's, Honda's, and Kawi's due to a less than optimal stock snorkel. Not trying to raise hackels here, just reminding us older guys, and letting some of the newer folk know that we've been there done that on this subject.

Scott (Stir), what the hell is that thing on your avatar??? And Ron, I see you've gone digital with yours! Do you two have a thing going on?!?! Creepiness seems to infiltrate our fold from time to time, remember the flaming ***** at DS Days last year? LMOA
Let's not have any "I feel dirty for watching that" moments this year...

Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LMAO! Hey he has an "Angry guy in a bunny suit" To!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lol

I made mine bigger so you didn't have to go get your glasses, Ace [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] lol

There are some amusing avatars out there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Oh! I thought it was just an old azz teleltubby angry at the world and looking for some love. Pink or White both avatars make some cute little bunny jammers!

Like your new signature too, that's how I get them everytime. Kind of inline with the whole the Ark was built by amatuers, the Titanic was built by professionals argument.

Quick Reply: Power Now Carb Unit for DS 650???