CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storage

Hey Hey- I'm hearing 3 different things from my friends here in Denver regarding long term storage. One says to fill the tank and then add Stabil. The other says to drain the tank and carb. The other says to fill the tank, do not add Stabil, and start the engine every 3 weeks or so and let it run for 5 or 6 minutes. Who should I listen to?
Thanks

Old 09-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default storage

Long term storage? What's that? LOL

You'll get a variety of answers here also, but if you're not going to start it on occassion then I would definitely drain the tank and carb. Don't want any varnish when the next season rolls around. If it will be subject to temperature extremes then I would change the oil and filter when time to ride rolls back around. Battery on a tender isn't a bad idea either, but I'm all for running it once a week or so to keep all hoses, lines, and the critical parts lubricated.
We here in the desert don't have such issues as all year round is a good time to play. Sometimes you just have to wait til the sun goes down to turn the key!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default storage

ACEISBACK, long term storage is defined as not being able to ride for up to two weekends in a row. LOL

We get awfully cold here sometimes (in OHIO) but we just bundle up. Went riding all day long last winter in 18 degree weather. Actually, we had to protect our (beverages) from freezing up on us.

Love winter riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default storage

O I have a feeling you and Ace will get along great by looking at your avatar.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default storage

Tuff go there. But I am with Ace. It is always better to start her up and run her here and there to keep everything flowing in the hoses and all the lines.... If you are going to go ahead and start it and run it every couple of weeks then I would leave some fuel in the tank and just make sure to run the carb dry each time. I never park ours for more then a couple of days without draining the carb......

Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default storage

Anyone try one of these.

http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/

-Moose

Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Range Rover
Default storage

I would choose either option 1 or 2. either Add stabil or drain it. if you add stabil you can still start it every couple weeks no problem at all. stabilised gas burns fine. thats the whole idea behind adding the stabil, is to keep the gas good. So add the stabil and feel free to run the engine whenever you want. The 3rd option however is just wrong. Starting it and running it every week might keep all the parts moving, but it dosn't keep the gas from going bad. Starting the engine every now and then won't change the age of the gas in the tank, it is still goign to get old and go stale. Gas goes bad over time thats just the way it is. Especially now that gas companies are starting to add Ethanol to a lot of the gas on the market today. It seems to make the gas go bad faster, now'a days you need stabil more than you did 5 years ago. the gas just seems not to last as long. if you are leaving gas in it, and not using it for more than 60 days I would add stabil to it. It's cheap and it works. if your not storing it for more than 60 days you should be fine. you shouldn;t need to add stabil.