CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Discovery Point RV Park Oregon Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discovery Point RV Park Oregon Dunes

We are looking for a camp ground with hookups that has beach and dune access.

Discovery Point looks like it might be just what the family ordered, anyone ever stayed there?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When are you going?

Check rv(dot)net for camping locations. Lots of people over there to help.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

I did a spell there last year. Bathrooms were dirty and you do have to do a fair bit of pavement riding before you get to the sand.
I hate ridding paddles on pavement. Otherwise sites were ok. A little bit on the small side.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

Okay not sure what MRDS650 is talking about with the long ride on the pavement but he is probably right about the bathrooms.

I have stayed at Discovery point many times and yes it is a little run down. The good news is they are in the process of a major renovation. Slowly but surely the owners are cleaning the place up.

The ride to the sand includes about 50 yards of pavement and gravel than about a 200 yard ride down a sand road access to the open sand.

The positives about Discovery point is Full hook ups including cable. The down side is the sites and the driveways are really tight and narrow.

Here is a link to thier website http://www.discoverypointresort.com/.

If you can live without full hook up I would suggest halfmoon bay campground at Winchester. nice big sites and direct dune access. This is a new campgreound that by 2009 should have full hook ups. The great thing about this campground is they left in the natural brush and trees between most sites and this gives you a nice visual break from your nieghbors.

The draw backs about half moon is no hookups and they only take reservations for thier group sites. the rest of the campground is first come first serve. But if you come in on a Thursday you are almost gaurenteed to get a site.
Here is a link
http://www.co.douglas.or.us/pa...dex=19&features=&cnt=

Another option is the Windy Cove campground but it does have a long ride to the dunes on gravel and pavement.
Here is a link
http://www.co.douglas.or.us/pa...dex=51&features=&cnt=

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions about camping along the Oregon dunes feel free to PM me. I have stayed at most of the campgrounds

Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

we pulled in there and didn't see anything worth staying for. Just up the road is a very nice rv park, little farther from the dunes but much nicer rving.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks all,
I keep hoping to find a campground that has beach access to keep the wife happy and dunes access for me and the kids. We do not like being packed in. Our nearest neighbors here at home are over 1/2 miles away, so parking lot camping does not appeal.

DuneMe,
Not sure when, probably after the first of the year at this point. Just starting to look.

Sandman,
Do you remember the name of the campground you stayed at?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

Sorry - I guess it not a long ride, but i hate ridding pavement with my paddles. I guess i am spoiled from ridding St. A's where it a short all sand access ride to the dunes.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

Check out Honeyman State Park near Florence........

H loop is open in the winter time. Dune access, you can also ride to the beach AND on the beach.........

Old 11-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Honeyman is great. Also, the KOA in Coos Bay has hook ups and beach access. My favorite is Spinreel!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

I've been to Honeyman, and the KOA.

I should point out the beach access I'm looking for is for walking. My wife is not much of a rider and wants for her and the kids to be able to walk to the beach when we camp.

If I can find a nice campground with dune access and within walking distance of a beach I'm hoping to make more dune trips.

Quick Reply: Discovery Point RV Park Oregon Dunes