CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds650 exhaust tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tip rules..out performs all slip ons on dyno with the exception of the hmf..from what i remember and read(been a while)....mine came with new jets...sounds is great and woke the ds up nicely...price is great also

Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Delta 4 Wheel
Thanks for the help! I think getting the tip is the easiet for me since I would need to keep the stock tip and change it out when I go to places that have db requirements. From what I read here, the cheezy screen on these tips wont suffice as a spark arrestor, especially here in Kalifornia. I figure I can keep the stocker on hand and swap out if there is an issue.
Unless is says USFS spark approved you'll most likely get ticketed. Your probably better off just removing that stupid screen and using it in areas that dont require spark arrestor and use your stock end cap where one is required.

Years ago ODP use to offer a supertrapp style end cap that gave you the best of both worlds. It made just as much power as the open end cap and was USFS spark approved. YOu could also remove some of the baffles and get the DB's down to an ecceptable level for most riding areas. If you can find anyone selling a used on of those they are golden...

Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, reviving an old thread. I was just searching for information on the EBAY tip I saw today. Do I need to re-jet the carb on my 06 Baja if I just install the tip and nothing else? Thanks for the help.
Run it with the stock 165 jet and keep an eye on your spark plug color and how often your fan is coming on. Unless your at high elevation chances are you'll need to go up. I recall having to go up a jet size on mine (170) when I went to an endcap a few years ago. I also lowered the clip on the needle to fatten up the midrange a bit. DS's like it a little on the rich side in the midrange due to the dual spark plugs they run.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

i believe that was the exact set up it came with and was recommended...cause thats what i did also...good memory DSengineer!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DSengineer
Run it with the stock 165 jet and keep an eye on your spark plug color and how often your fan is coming on. Unless your at high elevation chances are you'll need to go up. I recall having to go up a jet size on mine (170) when I went to an endcap a few years ago. I also lowered the clip on the needle to fatten up the midrange a bit. DS's like it a little on the rich side in the midrange due to the dual spark plugs they run.
Thanks for the help. I finally got to ride the bike at the Pismo Dunes today prepping it for my Johnson Valley run next week. I did notice some good low end power, but at the high RPM's I got a pretty bad popping miss. Probably running lean I would think. Like it was hitting the rev limiter, but no way it was. I didnt get that last time I rode there with the stock tip.

I am leaving wednesda night so I dont have time to order and install the jet. I plan to take the stock tip with me in case I have issues.

Haven't found information on Jet change, pretty easy? What is the "clip on the needle?" Does the 2006 have a 165 stock too??Thanks, Carl

Old 03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

anyone has any ds parts for sale anything

Old 03-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

if anyone has any ds 650 parts for sale just email me at bignu06@yahoo.com with pic's ok thanks

Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help. I finally got to ride the bike at the Pismo Dunes today prepping it for my Johnson Valley run next week. I did notice some good low end power, but at the high RPM's I got a pretty bad popping miss. Probably running lean I would think. Like it was hitting the rev limiter, but no way it was. I didnt get that last time I rode there with the stock tip.

I am leaving wednesda night so I dont have time to order and install the jet. I plan to take the stock tip with me in case I have issues.

Haven't found information on Jet change, pretty easy? What is the "clip on the needle?" Does the 2006 have a 165 stock too??Thanks, Carl
Couldn't you just set your air/fuel screw on the bottom of your carb, also to everyone, I have heard about people making these billet tips out of the stock tip does anyone know how to do it. to save myself from looking stupid i have an 05 ds650x but I havnt taken the tip off yet and this is my first atv :P so I don't have much experiance working on atvs

Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

GroundSpeed, welcome to the forum. Are you in Ontario California or the one in Canada? Haven't shipped anything to Canada before but I do have several slip on exhaust for the DS and a couple of the endcaps.
PM me if interested.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought one of the billet tips off of ebay to install on my '07. Have not had the stock exhaust apart yet but was wondering if you can run without the center baffle and still retain the packing or if you need to keep the baffle in to still have the packing in. Does it really make much of a difference power wise if you remove the baffle or not or is it all sound.

Another quick question that is starting to confuse me is when you refer to the main jet number are you referring to the Mikuni number or the Dynojet number because they don't match up? The reason I ask is because my buddy runs a full RW pipe on his '01 and claims to have a 155 main jet. That seems strange that my stock would be 165 and he has already gone up and is a at 155?? I assume I will need to go up in size with adding a K&N, tip and a Big Gun Rev Box and just trying to gauge what size main. I have been told 175 to 180 but not sure what brand jet they are referring to.

Oh - I am new to the board as well so thanks for any advice that you give.

Quick Reply: Ds650 exhaust tip