CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

03 DS650-Big problem-Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 DS650-Big problem-Need advice

Just came back from a four day trip to Glamis, and the bike seemed to run fine (end cap, Old Man racing carb mods, K&N, Big Gun rev box). When stopped, did occasionally notice the smell of coolant and that there was more discharge from the crankcase vent than I had ever noticed before.

This weekend, was going to change the oil and get the bike ready for a January trip to Glamis. Washed the bike in the morning (sprayed with engine de greaser, low pressure hose off). Then I started the bike and dried it off. Noticed nothing strange. That afternoon, got started on the oil change. Started the bike again to get the oil warm before draining it, and then noticed that the coolant level was lower that I had ever seen it (almost to the bottom of the overflow tank, and six or so inches down from the radiator cap. So, I stopped the motor, topped off with coolant, and restarted. Then, I noticed milky/silvery oil coming from the crankcase vent. Not just a few drops, but a fairly significant amount (made an oily puddle six inches in diameter on my garage floor). What does this sound like to you guys, water pump seals (I have never changed them-probably 60 hours on motor) or head gasket (motor has never been apart)?

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 DS650-Big problem-Need advice

most likely water pump seal. if you haven't been into the engine. duneme has been in favor of changing the shaft also, and i'd think that to be a good idea.