CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS450 as a Dune Machine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS450 as a Dune Machine?

Steve, which dealer did you go to?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Richardson Motorsports!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
TPR
The Champ

If you add a pipe and filter and delete the airbox lid, all you have to do is snip the pink/black wire that loops out of the computer box. When you snip the wire it goes into a race map that compensates for the added airflow from the add-on's. Heck you can even just go with removing the lid and baffle out of the stock muffler for considerable gains....

Think "Cherry Bomb" without any cost.

TPR

Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

I actualy could not help myself i stoped by my dealer today once more to play with the 450 you are correct tpr the extention on the shock is so fast yet the compression is so smooth and controlled it will be a great jumper. im definetily fighting the urge. im holding out for a new improved big bore ds....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

More old people ..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I for one have pounded this subject dead for a long time .... EFI is the future for sure - When compared to other sports, we are WAY behind.

The DS is great for cruising the dunes for sure. But, there's a lot to be said about turning a quad on a dime while cruising on the dunes ..... Enough said - If I get the bug again <u>I'll</u> pull the trigger and all he11 will break loose ....

Marky

Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Long time! Been awhile bro! I agree! I was impressed for sure!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey Marky! What's up!?!

TPR - Yeh, my buddy had the plastic or whatever off and showed me the wire to remove when you add the pipe and air filter. I do wonder though as the maps for different pipes on the Raptor can have drastically different fuel curves. . . ???

Tuning a FI bike is easy. I've got the Dynojet PowerCommander III USB. It connects via USB and I can easily upload / download maps. Take a ride and make some adjustments, another ride, more adjustments. Take it to the dyno and they can make adjustments very quickly. If you go to a Dynojet Dyno with the link package, the Dyno automatically updates your PCIII. I haven't seen this but, it sure sounds cool! I'm done with mods so, plan on getting my bike on the dyno to make sure it is dialed in. I expect about 30-minutes to dial it in. If it takes an hour, that's fine too.

Can't wait to ride one of these 450's. If I can hook up with my dealer bud, I'm sure I can throw my leg over one. I have a feeling he'll be doing a few mods to his (he didn't have it on the dyno for nothing the other day!)

Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider

it is exciting to see all these new machines, hope i haven't wasted all my time on lightening my 650,

Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

Nice features, but think its like the Honda 450R in that it has a wet clutch. The dry clutch the DS650 has is more for racing with many adjustable features and not spinning in bath of sitting oil (a drag effect). Wet clutches are more fail-proof, but the dry clutches are a better tuned Rotax design match. Its hard to tell exactly, but since I cannot easily find the clutch type on the DS 450, I'm assuming its the wet clutch type like the Jap 450's: its cheaper of course.

No Sandman, don't look like you've wasted anything on your beauty. Yours is a keeper for life. You can get lighter cast frame components, but you will never get a better Rotax designed thump drive train. And yours looks optimum to me. I'd just ride and enjoy it.

Maybe get one of those midrange cams ERBE seems to like. Those sound funner than spit, and appear to make your big bore upgrades come to life. But you may already have one. If so, I don't think it gets any better than that.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: goobds650

Nice features, but think its like the Honda 450R in that it has a wet clutch. The dry clutch the DS650 has is more for racing with many adjustable features and not spinning in bath of sitting oil (a drag effect). Wet clutches are more fail-proof, but the dry clutches are a better tuned Rotax design match. Its hard to tell exactly, but since I cannot easily find the clutch type on the DS 450, I'm assuming its the wet clutch type like the Jap 450's: its cheaper of course.

No Sandman, don't look like you've wasted anything on your beauty. Yours is a keeper for life. You can get lighter cast frame components, but you will never get a better Rotax designed thump drive train. And yours looks optimum to me. I'd just ride and enjoy it.</end quote></div>

My DS650 has a wet clutch.

Quick Reply: DS450 as a Dune Machine?