CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

04 outlander 400 charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 outlander 400 charging problem

A friend of mine has an 04 outlander 400 and we believe the magneto is not operating properly. He can start it with a freshly charged battery and ride for a bit but the battery quickly drains and will not restart until the battery is fully charged again. He has looked for the magneto but has had no luck in locating it without digging deeper into an unknown rhelm.

I know someone out there has had similar problems and can give us some advice as to where to look and how to test it properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Mud

Old 01-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

BRP had a voltage regulator problem with them, had a problem with both of our 330's. BRP replaced them.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes the regulator can drain the battery too.so oldboy is right.but good luck getting warranty.regulator and a relocation kit are in order.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bombi330

yes the regulator can drain the battery too.so oldboy is right.but good luck getting warranty.regulator and a relocation kit are in order.</end quote></div>

The regulators on our 330's were in the relocation place, they went bad. BRP has a up dated regulator, its 3 times as big as the ones that came with the Outlanders. There was no charge.
Oldboy

Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

your dealer must be more helpful than my local.they told me BRP knew the problem but not going to replace them.my reg. was still up front,got one from Rickys Stator.how recent did they replace yours?this was a couple years ago already.thanks for the info

Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Range Rover

We were in the 2nd year, after we got them. A couple years ago.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

so did they tell you it was a recall or a non-warrantable update?cuz i had to pay,my dealer said was update not recall. BRP site doesn't list recalls.Gives a # and no email address for customer service.appreciate the info selling dealer must be a shrewd SOB.new dealer just opened closer to home so will see what they can do.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Angry 2005 outlander

I have a 2005 outlander that I had a problem with the charging system. Bought new regulator & location harness. Installed to directions; still not charging battery. Cost was 300.00 dollars no admission from company of any defect. Also bought new battery as it fried my old one. Still mad as hell.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
YME
Weekend Warrior
Default Charging issues!

Hi all I'm new "again" to the forum and I have some input on this topic.

First my brother in law has an Outlander 400 and had a charging issue. As he lives in BC and no BRP dealer close by he asked me if I would fix his quad. The problem was a failed voltage reg (VR) and BRP would not replace under warranty. I paid over $400 for the retro kit to move it to the rear of the quad plus the battery was fried so I picked up a new bat too. Once installed it worked and has had no charging issues since.

Now me.
I have a 07 650 Outlander and while hunting my charging system failed. As soon as my "low battery" alarm came on I headed back to camp. After a few checks I figured my VR had failed too. (Mine was moved to the rear by the dealer prior to my picking it up). Once I returned home I following the test procedure in the manual, voltage check on the output of the VR and a resistance check of the magneto coils the manual said "it can be assumed the VR has failed". So off to my dealer for a new one. $180 later I returned home and installed it only to find it still wasn't charging. In another part of the manual it indicates the connector where you can check the mag output, which is what I did. No output! Back to the dealer for a new mag, $460 and 1 week later I had a new one and after the installing it, it now looks to be OK.
The bottom line is
1. the VR are over rated and under designed. Moving the VR to the rear helps as it is exposed to moving air which helps keep it cool. As you all know BRP has had an upgrade since the original and seems to be OK now.
2. The magneto is under designed too it has had 2 revisions to get it right (hopefully). One of the revisions was to eliminate the connector under the heat shield (according to the parts guy they were having fires related to the connector) by running the wire harness directly to the VR.
To add insult to injury they wouldn't take back the new VR because it is an electric part. This was an expensive repair.
Hope this helps

Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default outlander charging issues

have a 2004 4x4 ho outlander with winch and plow.
brand new odessey military battery with tender
plowing last storm and the machine died during the second go round of plowing
charged battery, ran machine with volt meter hooked up to battery read 12.75 vdc, not good
increased rpm's with no voltage increase to battery
actually, voltage was going down.
2003-2006 outlanders have known issue with voltage regulator rectifier
rectifier takes vac from stator and converts it to vdc to the battery
I saw no increase in vdc so rectifier was bad.
got one from http://www.rmstator.com/index for $79 shipped (also on ebay)
installed it and the battery is charging as it should running from 12.75 to 14.80 vdc with lights and winch operating

Quick Reply: 04 outlander 400 charging problem