CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Electrical problem ? NOT running right.....HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem ? NOT running right.....HELP !

I know this is the Can-Am section and I now ride a Predator, but this is where I've always found the right answers so pelase help out if you can.

OK the history. I have an 06 LE Pred. I put a pipe and K$N on it right after I got it. It sat for several months after a car accident I had. When I was healed up I put on new Custom Axis shocks and went riding. It rode fine for a while then started popping and sputtering in the hills like it was a fouled plug. I had jetted it a little richer so I figured that was it. I revved it up to try and clean up the plug. We stopped and it wouldn't start back up. No lights, no clich , no nothing..dead battery. I put in a new battery and went for a ride. It was sputtering and popping again, but mainly half throttle and above when it was being ridden, no so much if I had it in neutral and revved it. I rejetted the carb to Rath specs, and tried again. it revved fine with no load, then when riding it started acting up again about half throttle. It lost power like before and was almost like it was hitting a rev limiter or a stumble point early. The carb is clean and properly jetted. The air filter is clean and secure. air way is not obstructed or dirty. valve clearance is dead on. all equipment is the same as before the problem started. I am going to drain all the gas, clean out the tank and see if that helps, but I've run a good amount of gas through it so it shouldn't be that. Does this sound like an electrical problem to you guys ? I don't know if the dead battery could have done something, or if maybe the coil or CDI have gone bad. It doesn't have an excessive amount of hours or anything and compression is still great. I'm banging my head here. I dont want to go pay $75 / hour to have them tell me they don't know or to replace what I think it is now. I was considering replacing the CDi with a Procom, and the regulator, and the coil.... what do you guys think ? have any of you had similar problems ?
also I know years ago the procom wasn't that good of a unit, but hear they have changed a lot and several people have had good results with their products. I am not racing so don't want to spend for the vortex or dyna, is procom any good or is there another brand I should consider ?
I really appreciate your time for reading and any help you can offer.
Thanks,
Cain

Old 01-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

This sounds like the problem that the DS's have when you pinch the fuel tank vent line. It also has the symptoms of the DS regulator/rectifier going South. Not sure how the tank vent is on the Pred but I would start there, then proceed to the electrical.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I'll make sure the fuel tank vent line is ok before I do anything else.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Fuel tank and filter are clean, carb is clean.
I had it idling and noticed a slight hesitation at a point. It would run fine then every now nad then it would kind of stumble or miss then be fine again. I also noticed this when riding in low RPM with a steady throttle amount. It would be running fine , then hit that hiccup place and lag then run fine again. It's like there's a dead spot.
Does this sound like CDI? Coil ? or Regulator ?

And is there a way to test each of these components to find out if that's where my problem is coming from ?