CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Paddles for a ds650

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddles for a ds650

Okay, I'm really debating what paddles to get when the time comes. can I get some more opinions on the haulers vs. sandstars? I plan on going to silverlake here in michigan and don't really know the sand conditions there. I dont want to be limited to a tire only good for either duning or racing/hillshooting. I want whats better for all around. I know the haulers will hook up great but I do want to be able to break em loose at will. any more info is appreciated! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I've got haulers on all my bikes now, well except the LT80's, you can break em loose and slide em. You just have to play with it to figure it out, plus they climb anything.

The 520 conversion can be had from Rockymountain, I just don't know how you will have to ask Dragon for sure. I spent the money on a Sidewinder and really like it, yes it was a bit more but personally I really like it.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

This kit dosent seem to be on line at R.M whats the P,N#???

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cynick

The 520 conversion can be had from Rockymountain, I just don't know how you will have to ask Dragon for sure. I spent the money on a Sidewinder and really like it, yes it was a bit more but personally I really like it.</end quote></div>

Old 03-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the chain I get from Rocky mountain Here

The sprockets, I get the front from Ron Wood (Best Fit) and the rear I picked up from Sidewinder. It is a bit on the high side, but an outstanding sprocket. The allums in the 520 just wear out too fast for my taste. Last I checked you could still get a steel sprocket from Ron Woods in the 520 also. That would be cheaper then the Sidewinder and last a long time also.

As for Tires, I would highly recommend the Hauler Extremes myself. Do not get anything more then 8 paddles. That seems to be the magic number. Also, get them on the Black Lables. Still very strong, but much lighter then the Reds.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider

Thats the route I went, I thought mayby R/M got smart and had a kit for sale

Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

im probably getting some paddles from a guy on the forums. he has a set of 22x11x10 10 paddle extremes and 7 paddle extremes. is the 10 paddle too much for a pretty much stock ds? is 7 paddle enough? which should i get?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

If you are stockish 10 is way too many... I would thing the 7s would be really good on a stockish DS.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

Alright, so I'm leaning more towards the haulers right now. If they're lighter and I can get them to slide I should be very pleased [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now, more about this 520 conversion...
it's just a different chain right? I understand that if the types of metal are different between the sprockets and the chain I would have to change those too so they wear evenly. I've also heard about an x-ring chain? what's the difference between all these?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

My thought are the Sand Stars are too heavy but are a good play tire just make sure you go Black lable0.160" wall rims min of 9" wide, 10" if only play duning , the 9" give you a bit taller profile for the hill. also the same on the Fronts x 6" wide

Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: boomer8201

Alright, so I'm leaning more towards the haulers right now. If they're lighter and I can get them to slide I should be very pleased [img][/img]

Now, more about this 520 conversion...

it's just a different chain right? I understand that if the types of metal are different between the sprockets and the chain I would have to change those too so they wear evenly. I've also heard about an x-ring chain? what's the difference between all these?</end quote></div>

As for your 520 conversion. The different wearing of metels and such really has not shown me much at this point. We went to the 520 conversion, different chain and sprockets, about 2 years ago. My brother has a full sidewinder kit, and has had good luck, my dad's broke every other ride. Mine setup has been the rear sidewinder sprocket, the non ring chain, and a RWR front for this same time, and all looks good. I have changes the chain a couple of times but all have been due to me being stupid and not paying attention to it. We put a cheap a$$ $20 dollar chain on my dad's and it worked for 6 months. We only took it off because we figured it was gonna go eventually.

I personally do not like the chains with o-ring or x-ring. You are limited and the degreasers and lubes you can use, and they rust just as bad as a standard one if you do not take care of it. My standard non-ring chain gets sprayed with oil eater followed by the pressure washer when I get home, then gets oiled and put in the garage. You cannot hit the ringed ones with the pressure washer either. Or atleast they say you are not supposed to.

Did that make any since to anyone? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Paddles for a ds650