CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Im going to SNAP! This rear axle bearing project is KILLING ME! Any help??!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im going to SNAP! This rear axle bearing project is KILLING ME! Any help??!!

Alright this project is going to end up with the veins in my head bursting.... I am SO damn frustrated right now.

I apologize for stealing thread space with these constant threads guys! ( I just REALLY need to get this done!)

Got EVERYTHING apart... all cleaned up... bearings greased... Heated up the carrier in the oven -> Kept bearings in freezer overnight - GOt them packed really well and went for the install

I got the conical part of the bearing in (flat on one end to mate up with inside of carrier face, conical on the other to fit the tapered bearing). Those taped in pretty easily.

GREAT! I thought..im almmost home free. Obviously the bearings just set into the conical part I Just inserted, so no problem there. Then I oiled up the seals..They were a little stubborn but I managed to get them in on both sides.

I noticed that the seals all the way in still left a 1/4 inch or so of a gap between the outside edge of the seal, and the outside of the bearing carrier... I could have sworn when I pulled the old seals/bearings out they were pushed flush to the outer edge of the carrier.

This got me worrying about this mythical "wear ring" everyone talks about. When I pulled everything apart all I saw was the two bearing parts - the seal (and the metal spring that goes inside the seal). I tried searching all over for this "wear ring" people talk about, but most said it was the conical ring that goes in first (that is flat one side, conical on the other for the bearing to sit against).

This got me freaking out thinking im missing something...so like a DUMBASS I slide the carrier over the axle, just to see if it looked right. BIG MISTAKE! The bearing itself and the seal are now STUCK on the ()*&#$(*&#$ Axle! I started tapping against it with a screw driver/hammer to try and get it free, but its on there pretty good. To go on top of that...the spring popped out of the seal! (since the seal is between the bearing and the sprocket, I have to put the screw driver against it when I hit the screw driver against the bearing.

I guess my two questions are:

1: Most important- Any ideas on how to safely get this damn bearing off the axle WITHOUT wrecking it?!?!
2: Am I missing this "wear ring"? Or am I all good, and that 1/4 inch of gap between the seal/outside of carrier is normal?

ANY IDEAS!?!??! I just threw everything on the floor and am about ready to light the damn thing on fire.... This project is turning out to be such a PITA!

ANY Help is greatly appreciated ASAP! I go back down to school tomorrow and I really need this thing put back together!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Range Rover
Default Im going to SNAP! This rear axle bearing project is KILLING ME! Any help??!!

i think the two wear rings your talkin about are pressed on to the brake rotor hub and the sprocket up, and if its not flush your bearing race prolly isnt in the carrier all the way maybe?? and i wouldnt hit a hammer and screwdriver against your seal as that will pretty much eff that seal. if the axle slid on there alright it shouldnt be to hard to pull off. did you shine the axle up really well before you slid it back in? maybe put a pry bar between the sprocket and carrier perpendicular to the axle, either way, good luck.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure I know what you have done but it sounds like you need a long pipe that will fit over the axle and still be about the same size as the inside race of the bearing.This might allow you to beat on the bearing without breaking it all apart.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh ok so the smaller little guys on the brake hub and the sprocket hub... Well im just going to assume they are ok as I didnt quite figure that part out (I cleaned/inspected them, but dont know if there is a certain tolerance they are supposed to be at).

I had two of my buddys over and we finally got it free off the axle. I am just ASSUMING there is a gap between the seal and the bearing (I HOPE!) as everything is now loosely back together...

The thing is nearly impossible to adjust still, but with two guys we managed to get the chain tightened up enough for me to lock everything down and not have to worry about it for awhile.

Thanks for the input guys. And if anyone can confirm the gap between the seal and the bearing for me? Note: There wouldnt be a gap if you pushed the seal all the way down against the bearing...but that seems to defeat the purpose of the seal (keeping things out of the inside of the carrier!).

Old 03-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this problem when i did mine. It depends on the type of seals you bought. If you bought them aftermarket they will be 2mm shorter then factory seals. It still work fine. I didn't like the gap so the next time I bought a set of Bomb. seals and it was much better.

Other thing to remember is the seals do NOT have to touch the bearing, just tap them in to the top of the carrier. As well you said you oiled up the seals. I hope you ment the part where the axle goes threw. Never put lube on the outside of the seal, it could turn or pop out of the carrier.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

OK I am much relieved to hear that... I did just leave the seals flush with the carrier (the 1/4 inch gap is between the seal and bearing).

I just oiled the inside of the seal so the axle wouldnt rip the seals out (or tear them) when reinstalling the seal.

Thanks for all the help guys, I THINK I got this job FINALLY done!