CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

spacer on sprocket hub question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spacer on sprocket hub question.

Thanks everyone for all the info during the past couple of years.
This site is really enjoyable to read.

Long story short, the bearing didn't have any grease and the ring (not the races)that holds the bearings in place wore thru leaving loose bearings inside the carrier. The inner race was stuck on the axle so I took it in to get it pressed off. I believe they returned all the parts and the end of the hub sprocket was all ruff and it appeared that the spacer ring fuzed onto the hub.

I could see what looked like a ring of metal pressed into the hub. I think i cleaned it up pretty well with a some fine grit emery cloth and a grinding wheel.

Is this spacer ring loose on the axle or pressed onto the hub like the brake hub.
How do you remove the spacer from the brake hub incase i need to to that in the future?

Looking at the brake hub I can see the ring. The manual specifies a tool to press the ring into the brake hub but doesn't say anything about pressing the ring onto the sprocket hub.

I don't really want to order a sprocket hub unless i need to.

Thanks for you help in advance.

------
03 ds650 baja
alba exhaust (sounds awesome)
K&N air
Jet kit

Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spacer on sprocket hub question.

I've been doing some reading and it appears the wear ring (I was incorrectly calling it a spacer) is pressed onto the sprocket hub. With the condition of the hub it looked like the ring would ride between the hub and race.

Is it true that the wear ring is pressed on the sprocket side. The manual talks about pressing the wear ring onto the brake hub but doesn't talk about the sprocket side. I dont see a ridge on the hub since i've "cleaned" up what I thought it was supposed to look like. The wear ring part numbers are the same.

------
03 ds650 baja
alba exhaust (sounds awesome)
K&N air
Jet kit