CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

looking to get a 650 max

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to get a 650 max

I have a grizzly 650 and I'm thinking about adding a 650 max so I can ride some trails and take the wife with me. How do they ride and how do they ride when it is used for only one rider? Are they bigger then a regular atv (size)?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 650 max xt and I love it!! I have not had the chance to ride with some one as of yet. Riding it single it rides like a dream and will go up anything you want. It is 8" longer that a normal 650 xt.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had my 650 Max XT for about 18 months now. Got about 100 hours on it. I've ridden several other utility quads and you can toally feel the difference of that longer wheelbase - smoother ride. I havent ridden any trails with passenger - just had them on back pulling out a deer (Had myself and guy on front rack, guy in back seat, and 11 point buck that dressed out at 218# on the back rack and the bike hardly noticed it!) I've taken the rear seat off and put the storage box on and have ridden trails like that - not quite as nimble on the trails as a quad with a smaller wheelbase. Only regret is that I didnt get the 800. However, since it was my first quad, it was a good size.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

When rideing 2 up on these machines you can hardly tell anybody is on the back. My wife and I ride all the time on our 650 max xt. no problems with stability or horse power. Give it a try, you will be glad you bought a Can Am Max.

Vince

Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Can Am Vince, is the trail riding as good as single rider atv? Troy32 you said it is not as nimble as regular atvs what about the stability? I have a son-in-law that wants to start riding and I thought this way he could start riding my grizzly and I'll ride the 650 max. I really like the ride and power of the grizzly but from what you all are saying it seems that the 650 max is more stable as much power plus can ride 2 if i want to. Is this right?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Stability - I'd say that it is more stable than a normal quad. Anytime you stretch a wheelbase, you will lower the CG. Also, I noticed the other day that engine placement on my quad is noticeably further forward than on my neighbors Polaris800 Touring. It would appear that the front-to-rear weight distribution is more balanced with the CanAm. I can't make a comparison against your bike thought as I don't hunt or ride with anyone having one. Now, comparing rear seat comfort, I'll say that the CanAm is more comfortable because the frame of the seat is wrap-around whereas the frame of the Polaris seems to be just in the center of the seatback. When you lean back or to the side on the Polaris, it feels like you are falling out of the seat. The CanAm gives you support if you are leaning.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: coacho

Can Am Vince, is the trail riding as good as single rider atv? Troy32 you said it is not as nimble as regular atvs what about the stability? I have a son-in-law that wants to start riding and I thought this way he could start riding my grizzly and I'll ride the 650 max. I really like the ride and power of the grizzly but from what you all are saying it seems that the 650 max is more stable as much power plus can ride 2 if i want to. Is this right?</end quote></div>

1) First question is the trail riding as good as a single rider atv?
In many respects I would say better. The longer wheelbase gives a smoother ride, and as already mentioned in the forums it is also more stable. I also like that when riding single rider you can put your feet on the rear persons foot pegs to get higher out of the water when crossing through deep water.
What Troy 32 was getting at when he said not as nimble was because the wheelase is longer, the turning radius is bigger. essentially that means in tight spots, where a regular quad could U turn you will likely need to do a 3 point turn. you get used to that drawback, and I think the benifits totally outweight this one disssadvantage.

2) it seems the 650 max ... as much power plus can ride 2 if you want to.

yes, true. The one thing I would dissagree with is the comment that you do not notice the rider on the back, and it rides the same 2up as 1up. This is NOT True. I ride regularly 2 up. probably most of my riding is done with 2 people. the average weight of the riders i have on the back is about 180lbs.
This Quad rides totally differently with 180lbs on the back. Not a bad thing, it just is different. The back end does not slide around at all with a 2nd adult on the back. where as with single rider you can do power slides and such very easily. I would say this is actually a good thing, as you really shouldn;t be sliding the back around with a 2nd rider as it is much more dangerous if you do.
It has noticably less acceleration with a 2nd rider. It squats a bit in the back under the load of the passenger when you accelerate, and it has significantly less clearance with the weight of a rider. probaly about 2-3 inches. I often bottom out on rocks that I would normally clear with 1 person. But all that should be expected when you add the extra weight.

All that aside. it still rides beautiflly as a 2up. and as this is my primary function with the bike I am very happy with it. however, get rid of the extra passenger weight, and it gets even sportyer performance and is an absolute dream to ride 1up in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have been trail rideing many times with the wife/kids and by myself. The rocks and logs are no match for the Can Am. I have squeezed between trees and out ran everybody that I have rode with. The only thing you gotta watch is the length. The machine takes a little further to turn around. Sometimes I bump against trees while trying to get around them. I am sure Miller Lite had nothing to do with that...If you can get the fender extentions, I would get them. The Can Am will throw mud on you like crazy. When you break the tires loose in the mud, the rooster tail can shoot 30 feet in the air. It is an awsome site. The Machine is very mild mannered, both my girls ride it all the time, well...... I say mild mannered.... that is until you nail the throttle... Look out!!!!! Hang on!!!!

Vince

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MATTINTHEHAT...You might try to adjust the shocks a little to stiffin up the ride. I average about 10 mph, a nice slow ride through the woods, up hills, across creeks. That may be why I don't really notice my passenger. I have bottomed out while rideing 2 up on trails that have big rocks and ruts, but never a problem getting over them. I don't slide around or cut up with 2 on the machine .My wife will pinch the fire out of my belly fat,,, but by myself.... a donut is in order.

Vince

Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Range Rover

Ok, at 10mph ,you are correct you will not notice the passenger at all. on trails where you are regular trail riding at slow speeds that is true. I have crossed logs and extreme terrain without having the passenger get off. something you simply can not do riding 2 up on a 1up machine. Often if I am riding for extended periods of time on slow trails with a max speed of 5-6mph, I will actually ride in low gear. that is where I find this machine really shines. It will cross absolutly anything without ever giving it gas. just lightly hold t he throttle and it will literally climb anythigh without pause when in low.

however you do notice the passenger at higher speeds. The vehicle is not as nimble. but for practical purposes it is really unsafe to ride at any speed with a passenger anyways I guess. But from time to time on Long streetches of trail like old railways where the rails are removed I will open it up with a passenger and it will still do over 50mph no problem even with a passenger. just takes longer to get there. and dosn't feel as uninhibited as it does when I ride 1up. I have had it up to 70mph (not recomended) going 1 up just to see how fast it would go, but it takes a long road to get there, and control is not particularly good at that speed. but again, this is not a racecar, or even a racing quad for that matter. It's not built for performace at high speeds. it's built for the trail. which it is perfect for.

I have stiffened up the shocks, and I honestly found it made very little difference. but I am not complaining I like it the way it is. Its an awesome machine. and extremly versatile. In My opinion it is both a Ultility Quad, and a Sport Quad all in one.