CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What tires will hook the best for grass dragging and general riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires will hook the best for grass dragging and general riding?

I currently have
22" razr's that are almost bald (my general use tires). These worked pretty well when the tread was fresh, but now the ***** are 50% gone and rounded so they just spin like mad!
22" mud machines (for snow)
23" haulers for sand
20" Stock tires on stock wheels (90% tread)

I was looking for a single new pair of tires but dont know what to get (im a tire fiend... but am limiting myself!). I want a tire that will HOOK in grass, but also be good for general riding... The razrs are going to be replaced for sure, but I just have to decide what to replace them with.

ITP has come out with a new mudlite (the SP- sport) in a 20x11x9 (and also the 22x11x9 standard AT). I thought these might hook decent, but I have an email into ITP to see what the weight is, as I dont want a 20 pound tire! The nice part is I can get them for about 60 a tire.

I like the razr II's but some say they actually slip a lot in harder surfaces? THey are also DAMN expensive at about 85 a tire (for the 22") they also weigh 17.5 pounds each

The GNCC's look awesome, and I would go with the 21x11x9's. These weigh 15.5 but the downfall is they cost about the same as the razr II's (80 a tire).

I was talking with a few guys who are BIG into drags (dirt drags) who said oddly enough the CHEAPEST and SIMPLEST Tire design hooks the best! Which is making me consider the Turf tamers, or possible these
http://www.rockymountainatvmc....tail.do#vehicleSelect

They are the "duro" knobby tires. the only problem is the only size that fits my rim (9 inch) is a 25x12x9...which is pretty damn big, BUT only 39.99!

Any ideas????

Old 04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

i got some itp holeshot's on my 450x they hook pretty good check em out

Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Allot of guys on the Raptor forum use ITP Holeshot GNCC's and seem to like them I cannot attest as I have never tried them myself.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
I'm a Plumbing contractor and I have some old friends that always called me Pipelayer for some reason?

the razerII is a good tire but thay weigh mor then i would like and thay last a long time thats probably the reason you have heard thay slip on hard pack. but dont all the tires you use with that monster slip?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input guys. And ya pipelayer pretty much EVERYTHING slips! I am just trying to minimize it in grass anyway, so I can do drags and actually put the power to the ground. Most of my buddies have modified yfz's and some ltr's and I just barely beat them because I just spin through the first 3 gears (even launching in 2nd is about worthless... usually starts to hook in 4th).

I am thinking about trying those 39.99 25x12x9 duro knobbies out! I know a lot of dirt drag guys use those with good results... seems like running those @ like 3 pounds would allow for the sidewall to flex and make a HUGE contact patch (12 inch + width!) at 40 bucks a pop they are less than half of the other options.