CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I could use a little guidance on TM45 tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use a little guidance on TM45 tuning

I got a HSR45 (TM45?) from a RWR kit off another quad. It was running on an otherwise stock 650 with A2 cams. I just put the cams and carb on my 730. I fired it up and set the idle. Whacked the throttle a few times and chubbed up a bit. Put on my helmet to drive it and got to the test track. Whacked the throttle again and it stuck. I shut it down figuring I routed the cable poorly. It felt fine and worked properly. I fired it up again and it idled fine until I opened up the throttle again. It was revving 6K again. I then figured the pilot screw was whacked but it was at 1.75 turns. I did go thru the carb before I put it on to make sure everything was clean. I could have missed something I suppose. Any thoughts on this? Jetting? Could anyone give me some tuning start points with jetting for a 730,11.5:1, A2 cams, stock airbox, stock exhaust with end cap, RWR CDI, 800 ft elevation.

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

You are gonna need to feed that 730 a lot of fuel. What is your main jet. You are most likely very lean....

Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I think it is a 170. I didn't pay much attention as I figured I would test it and tune from there. I didn't even get to the main before I had the high idle issue. Now I need to research a better base line before I drive it much less fine tune it.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Look around where the pulley is under the seat. You may have to shim a little bit to get enough clearance. They do rub sometimes. Can make for some hairy situations when you least expect it. I'm 255 and had it happen a feew times until I figured it out. My son couldn't duplicate the problem, of course he's 100lbs lighter. Several that I know of have had this issue, mainly us heavier riders.
Then again, it could be your throttle lever return spring, or a combination of the springs on the carb itself. Is the pumper activated?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Thats a good point. I was on it when it was "sticking". I would have never thought of that. When I checked the cable routing, I even looked at the pulley and seen pleanty of room. Obviously with the seat off.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

O.K., clearance was the issue. Not the seat though. I looked for rub marks and didn't see them. I put some grease on the pulley and it did not transfer to the seat. I was bummed out at first not to have found a simple solution. I messed around looking and noticed the intake tube could get in the way if moved right. I cut it back a bit more and now we are cool. I originally trimmed it back to fit the carb in but apparently one ring not enough. When the seat went on, it moved the hose over a bit and the pulley would hang on the end of the tube. Now we are back to testing and tuning. I have to say, I'm not overly impressed with the gains. No seat of the pants gains. In fact, going thru the whoops, it stumbles like a big float bowl carb. I checked the float height and it is at the low end of the tolerance. I'll mess with it some more. Thanks for the help Ace.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Glad we could be of some assistance. May I ask where you ride? Most of us out West here don't run the two snorkels, or even the airbox for that matter. If water isn't an issue then getting rid of that 15 pounds of plastic will give you a little more omph, as well as the front fenders and anyother "excess" plastic and steel.
You see some really trimmed down bikes out this way and the more you shave the faster they go...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

I'm in WI. Most of my riding is at home. However, on occasion, I do go trail riding. And as much as I try to stay clear of water, you do run into it. If there was huge performance gains with out the air box and crap, I would get rid of it. Back when we had LT 500s and Banshees, some would have direct filters and have too many problems with water. That is the only reason I keep my air box on. Same with front fenders, It's worth their weight for me to stay clean. Especially when you come in to a corner hard and you are leaning up and over the bars, that inside tire locks a bit and when you release the front brake the tire gives you a chin full of clay.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Military Rider

Understood. I would atleast consider running without the lid, but keep it handy for those trips where you know you'll be hitting some moisture.
There are huge gains without all of that weight under the seat, but mainly when going from bone stock to OMR's mods. If as your sig says you have the 730 and then with the TM I'd say you're making some good power and the security of not sucking in water would be piece of mind.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Halfliter,
Where are you with your needle & pilot?

With the snorkel and no airbox I was fat at sea level with a 160 main. I should have been at a 155 or so... I'm trying out a direct mount filter now and am down to a 145, may go to a 142.5 for Sand Mt.

I run the 97 needle on the second from the top groove.

A 25 pilot with the pump and ended up 1.25 turns out on the air screw, dead between rich and lean.

50 pump squirter aimed at the needle, and pumping from right of idle to 1/2 throttle.

I talked to Hightower and THEBOM about the TM and the only thing I'm doing different is running a 25 pilot instead of a 30 like they do and shortening the pump from 3/4 throttle back to 1/2 throttle like HT does.

I also run the floats at the lowest setting per the manual, (20mm)

When I was at Dumont in Feb my friend and I ran the whoops to Banshee Hill several times and I never had an issues with stumble. The only time I did was related to being fat on the main.

Quick Reply: I could use a little guidance on TM45 tuning