CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what oil should i use

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what oil should i use

I have a 2002 DS 650 baja that i recently purchased. i have most of the stage two ron woods racing componets on it. I need to change the oil in it and also it needs to be jetted. i am moving from eastern cali to iowa. the elevation here is around 6000 feet and back home considerably less. an ideas?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

I have been recommended to use Valveline Motorcycle oil with Wet Clutch protection. You can get it at the auto parts store and it's cheap. I was referred to this by one of the fastest hill shooting DS's in the Country so it should work just fine. I've been running it lately and it's working great. 10w40 should be good.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I appreciate all the help i will have to go look for the oil

Old 05-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I've used Honda GN4 in a 2000, an 01, and two 03's with no issues whatsoever. Mine have all been ridden quite a bit, lots of hard hours and miles in extreme conditions. It is getting pricey lately, as are all petroleum products. Been several campfire discussions over the past couple of seasons about this very topic and you will get as many answers as you have people. Supposedly the best quality at the lowest price is Castrol but that is coming from one of the better motor builders around this area so take that for what it's worth...

Old 05-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

I'm with Ace... I've been running the Honda GN4 for years with zero clutch slip and no other issues. Almost every bike shop around here has it and I always need a new oil filter so I can grab it all at the same time. There are certainly other and perhaps better oils out there, but with no issues to date, and no one telling stories about significant failures due to oil, I see no reason (for me) to try anything else.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:29 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

GN4 is a petroleum oil (priced like a Synthetic thought),no petroleum oil stands up to cold and hot temperature like a Full Synthetic can. Do a goggle search "Petroleum oil Vs Synthetic oil"

Besides price there is no contest between the two,GN4 does not even have have that small advantage. There are so many motorcycle full synthetic oils , all designed for wet clutches out there, just pick one.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Like we stated though TLC, GN4 has proved to stand up to the test of time, and I ride in 115 degrees down to 30 or so, and have never had an issue. On the other hand I know many, many people who have used semi and full synthetic, even those designed for the wet clutch system, who have run into issues. Just our experience. Everyone will have their own set of circumstances with various products. Just have to find what works for you and stick with it.

Trending Topics

Old 05-26-2008, 04:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I,m sure "Quaker State" on Sale would would work fine in a ATV, but knowing your running a Full synthetic that takes more abuse and temps extremes before its properties break down is just a nice piece of mind for me.

Don,t get me wrong I think Full synthetic is to pricey to run in my truck,but since a ATV only takes two quarts its not bad for them.

I found out my expensive OEM Harley Davidson oil was just petroleum oil as well,my motorcycle mechanic who has a $10,000 S&S motor in his bike, says just stay with full Synthetic over petroleum.

All about motorcycle motor oils

Bottom line is..

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What about synthetic vs. semi-synthetic vs. "dino" oils? All motor oils have several special additives formulated into the oil to protect from corrosion and wear, plus detergents to keep combustion products in the oil. For normal (non-extreme) use, "dino" oils protect as well as the synthetic oils. However, if you plan to race, run at extremely high temperatures, or plan to extend oil-change intervals, or simply want the best, then a synthetic or semi-synthetic may be your best choice. </end quote></div>

I don't know but I find ATV motors are pushed to there limits more than not.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I think most of us change our oil after every 1 or 2 dune trips based on the amount of dirt and dust involved. At that point, you are not reaching the limit of any oil. So any good top line oil for a wet clutch should work fine. Now if you plan on going 3,000+ miles between oil changes, in my opinion you are a cheap *** idiot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The little amount it costs to do a change of oil on these things is well worth it. I would rather spend that 5 grand over 10 years of oil changes, then all at once on a new motor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Wait, was that completely on topic??? Oh-well, you get my point. I use a full syn that my buddies run in their Harley's. I get it at cost, so even better for me lol

Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Klotz full synthetic. It was recommended to me by Sandbomber and I have to say has performed great for me.

I like the extra protection a full synthetic gives me, especially with the standard bearings that the DS650 has on the crank instead of roller bearings.

However, I would not hesitate to run a current brand name dino oil, as long as its wet clutch rated.