CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bombardier Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following is a copy of a letter I sent off to Bombardier outlining my experience with their customer service. You can choose to ingore it, or to disbelieve it, but it is 100% true. I still love my DS, and I am definetly not bashing it, but the ownership experience is less than perfect.

Bombardier Recreation Products
565 Rue De La Montagne
Valcourt, QC JOE2LO

Dealer Complaint

To whom it may concern,
The reason for this dealer complaint results from the failure of the dealership, Sunwest Sports, to fix the problem that the equipment was initially brought in for. Further, the equipment was returned to me in worse condition than it was in when dropped off at their facility. The equipment in question is a 2000 Bombardier DS650, manufactured date 11/99.

They charged me for labor that was unnecessary due to the fact that the problem of oil & coolant mixing in the motor (my primary complaint) was not addressed, let alone resolved. Further they charged me for a total of 3 water pump seals, the unit only uses 2, when in fact it appeared that they had not changed even one. This, as it turned out, was the cause of the oil & coolant mixing in the motor. The seals in question measure when new .3540” ID, they ride on a shaft that measures .3545”. The seals that were in the engine after receiving the quad back from Sunwest Sports measured .401” ID, a full 50 thousands oversize. It is my contention that these seals were never changed by Sunwest Sports even though they have claimed to have done so.

On November 28th, 2000 I dropped the quad off at Sunwest Sports with two primary concerns:
1. The oil & coolant was mixing
2. The motor was very hard to start when cold
I felt strongly that the problem stemmed from a blown head gasket due to the fact that a hard starting symptom arrived at the very time that the coolant began appearing in the motor oil while the coolant level in the radiator was dropping. I further informed the tech that I observed that as the coolant level was dropping, the oil level was rising. They claimed after their initial diagnosis that they could see no signs of coolant in the oil. When they finally had the motor out of the quad and disassembled on the workbench I drove to their facility to inspect it for myself. After 25 years in the automotive business I have a very strong background in engine work and I wanted to see for myself what the combustion chamber condition was. The head gasket looked fine and there were no signs of water intrusion into the combustion chamber, in fact there were the normal amount of carbon deposits on both the piston and the valves. I questioned them as to where the coolant was going since it was consuming coolant at an alarming rate, Johnnie, the tech, said he didn’t know. I asked him if he had performed a compression test on the motor, he said no. I asked him if he had performed a hydrocarbon test on the coolant, he said no. I asked him if I could get the old coolant from the bike to do my own hydrocarbon test, he said that he had already discarded it. I asked if he had performed a leak down test, again no. I asked if he had performed a cooling system integrity test with a pressure tester, big surprise no.

At this point the quad had been at their facility for about three weeks, and I was getting frustrated with the lack of progress. I instructed them to re-install the cylinder head and to replace the water pump seals, just as a precaution in case the breach of system integrity was in the water pump drive shaft area.

A few days later I called them to check on the status. I was informed at that time that Johnnie was unable to get the valves adjusted properly and that he speculated that the valves had been “sucked” up into the head. He further stated that I would need a new cylinder head to repair this alleged damage. He made this determination while the head was still bolted to the engine, without performing a leak down test, or a compression test, apparently he used his x-ray vision.

I took him at his word and contacted Bombardier Customer Service Rep, Denise, and voiced my displeasure at having to replace the cylinder head after only owning the machine for 8 months, with only 63 hours of actual operating time. I know this because I added a Hobbs hourmeter immediate after purchasing the quad, being a stickler for maintenance I felt this was necessary, of course it is one of those dreaded “aftermarket parts”. After much discussion and many subsequent phone calls, Bombardier opted to replace the cylinder head for me. They would cover the parts only. At this point the quad had been in the shop for over five weeks, and again out of frustration I said go ahead and put the new cylinder head on, all along assuming that they knew what they were doing and that it would solve my problems with the unit.

It is unfortunate that Bombardier wasted their money on an unneeded cylinder head due to the technicians incompetence. He claimed that the proper valve adjustment was unattainable due to seat wear or valve wear or Pluto being aligned with Uranus or some such crap. In my business we regularly repair dual cam overhead valve cylinder heads such as Honda, Toyota, etc. By comparison, the cylinder head on the Rotax motor is extremely low tech. It could have been repaired, if it was even necessary, for an extremely small amount of money. But Johnnie, the brain surgeon, claimed it was not possible. My machinist inspected the new head before it was installed and laughed at the assertion that the head couldn’t be repaired.

I finally picked up the quad from Sunwest Sports on Friday January 12th, 2001. A full 6 ½ weeks after I originally dropped it off to them. The tech, Johnnie, started the bike in front of me and rode it very briefly out into the driveway to demonstrate/test the vehicle. I was rushed out of their because they were past closing and they wanted to go home. It was dark and I couldn’t inspect the vehicle until I got it home. At that point I found a number of problems with lost & broken parts, see attached list, and wiring issues. Luckily a friend of mine was with me as we were preparing to go on a camping trip with our quads. He helped me repair all of the obvious problems and ready it for the trip, we worked on the quad from 8:00 pm to 10:30 pm repairing their lousy workmanship.

In the morning we arrived at our favorite ride spot, Glamis Sand Dunes in California. After performing the normal pre-ride inspection of fluids we were off on the first ride. It didn’t last long, ¼ of a mile out of camp the engine warning light came on. I stopped the quad immediately and started to diagnose what the problem is. The top of the radiator was very hot but the bottom was cold, this indicates a lack of flow of coolant. I removed the lower radiator hose to verify flow through the radiator, it flowed fine. I then removed the hose on the outlet side of the water pump to verify that the water pump was working, with the hose removed I turned the engine over with the starter and the water pump flowed well. I then removed the thermostat housing to see if the thermostat was stuck closed, it wasn’t, it was installed backwards blocking all flow! If I hadn’t been watching the warning light this “oversight” would have cost me a motor. After reassembling and re-installing fresh coolant we continued to ride. The bike seemed to backfire an unusual amount but otherwise ran pretty good. Upon returning to camp and after allowing sufficient time for the motor to cool, I checked out the coolant level, it had dropped. I checked the engine oil, it was milky again and had risen. Obviously the coolant was still mixing with the oil. I spent the rest of the time hanging around camp, not riding like I would normally have.

Upon returning to home, Tuesday January 16th, I called Sunwest Sports and talked to the Service Manager, Ronnie. I informed him as to what my experiences had been and he stated “well that’s what happens when we do a rush job” apparently almost 7 weeks is a rush! When I asked him what we are going to do to resolve this issue his reply was “I don’t even want to see the bike until you (meaning me) contact Bombardier and talk to a tech and find out what is wrong with it”, I didn’t realize that I had pulled up to the self-serv pump. At this point it was apparent to me that if I wanted this thing fixed right, or at all, I was going to have to do it myself. Ronnie is at the very least arrogant, and at the worst, dishonest. His tech, Johnnie, is most definitely incompetent. I did however call Bombardier in an effort to talk to a tech, but they wouldn’t let speak to one because I’m not a dealer. I asked the Customer Service Rep to ask a tech to inform me of every area in the motor where oil & coolant could mix. He said he would, and that he would call me back. That was over a week ago, and I have not heard a word. At Bombardier, customer service is apparently a title, not a mission statement.

The next day I called another dealer, Temecula Motorsports, and ordered the necessary parts. While placing the order the parts counterman, Brandon, asked my why I was ordering all of these engine parts, I explained the situation to him and he said “hold on for a minute”. He put me on hold for a few minutes and returned to the phone and stated that he had discussed my symptom with his head tech in service and the tech said “without a doubt the problem is the water pump seal”, so I ordered the appropriate parts and enlisted the help of a friend of mine that is a master tech and the owner of an auto repair facility to help me fix this thing. In five hours of working time we diagnosed and fully repaired the unit. The following attached page lists all of the things we found and repaired. All of the parts and labor for the final repair were at my expense.

In a final conversation with Denise in your customer service department, she stated that due to the fact that it has come to her attention that there are aftermarket parts on the unit the warranty is void. She further stated that had she known of this earlier, the cylinder head would not have been replaced. I asked her if in the last seven weeks, and approximately 6-10 phone conversations that her and I had engaged in, did she ever ask me if the unit was completely stock? She replied no. I then asked if in the many communications that the dealer allegedly had with Bombardier did they ever discuss the subject? Again no. Apparently it only became an issue when I requested Bombardier to step-up and pick up the labor charge. So, due to further incompetence on Bombardier’s part, I am the bad guy. I never attempted to mislead anyone, if I had been asked I would have gladly stated that I had installed an aftermarket pipe, and re-jetted the carburetor, and placed a UNI breather filter on the crankcase breather hose. The stock set-up for the breather allows unfiltered air to enter the crankcase, that is simply unacceptable. I still would like someone to explain to me how an aftermarket pipe, a re-jet from a 165 main to a 175 main, and a breather filter can cause a water pump seal to fail! Further, the water pump seal, whether installed by Sunwest (very unlikely) or by Bombardier, was installed too deep in the housing causing it to block off the “weep hole” in the case, creating a situation where when the seal failed the coolant overcame the oil seal and forced coolant into the crankcase. The “weep hole” is there to prevent this scenario from happening, but it can’t work if it is covered up. If the seals where properly engineered with lugs on the outside surface this type of oversight could be avoided. Who knows how much damage to my internal engine/transmission bearings took place due to coolant contaminated oil. Thanks a bunch for the high quality workmanship.

In the final analysis they charged me for nothing, the requested repairs were not performed, they lost or damaged a number of parts, they incorrectly re-assembled the quad & the motor, and they refused to repair their screw-ups. I firmly believe that I have given them every opportunity to make this right, and they are simply unwilling, or unable, to do so.

Believe me, it will be impossible for me to recommend your products to anybody! Quite the contrary, when people ask me how I like my DS, and many, many people do, I will give them the full story. I am completely disgusted with the service I received from your company and your dealer.

Sincerely,
Ken Williams

DS650 Problems

Missing or Broken Parts
*Front Sprocket Guard
*Front Sprocket Guard Bolt
*Motor Mount Bolt
*2 Header Springs
*Exhaust Stud Nut
*Stripped head on starter bolt, used vise-grips to install
*Missing Foot Peg mount bolt & locknut

Improperly Repaired Items
*Wiring harness hanging down below tank against head
*Cam timing set one tooth off
*They claimed to have replaced the water pump seals, it does not appear to have been done, however the outer (coolant) seal was pushed in too far blocking off the “weep hole” in the case which when the seal fails, as it had, forces coolant past the oil seal and into the crankcase/transmission.
*Even though the engine was removed and all oil was drained, the original clogged oil filter was still in the motor, full of foam from coolant contamination
*Breather hose not tied, laying against header
*Harness wires not tied, laying against header
*Thermostat installed backwards causing overheating
*Coolant and oil still mixing, coolant still coming out of breather hose
*Lost exhaust stud nut replaced with Nylok style nut, which melted
*Carb boot not seated at manifold, clamp on crooked, causing vacuum leak
*Choke **** not repaired, still comes off in hand when pulled
*Requested replacement of Tank Cover not performed

Observations & Comments
*Obvious signs of coolant in oil filter and oil
*Obvious signs of coolant inside valve cover & transmission case
*Old parts & pictures have been kept as proof of above statements

Old 01-23-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Ken great letter all so send too COO of Bombardier INT.

Robert Greenhill
President and Chief Operating OfficerBombardier International
Bombardier International
800 René-Lévesque Blvd. West
Montréal, Québec
Canada H3B 1Y8
Let the top know what is going on down below him

Old 01-23-2001, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

I hear you man, Bombardier customer service is a joke.

Old 01-23-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

CALDS650,
Thanks for the compliment and the info, I'll send it to him today.

Old 01-23-2001, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

If I were a judge and you were in my court room,
I think you would have a made your case.
Take the dealer to small claims, there is gross negligence and incompetence demonstrated here.

Old 01-23-2001, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

KenDS WOW WHAT A NIGHTMARE.I HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY BOMBJUNK DEALER TOO BUT YOURS IS SOMETHING ELSE.I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT BOMBARDIER IS THINKING.I WORK AT A TRUCK DEALERSHIP AND WE ARE ALWAYS GIVING CUSTOMERS THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.WE OFTEN COVER THINGS UNDER WARRANTY THAT ARE NOT OR SHOULD NOT BE JUST TO KEEP THE CUSTOMER HAPPY.IT COST A LITTLE MORE NOW BUT THEY ALWAYS COME BACK AND WE END UP MAKING MORE MONEY AND WE HAVE HAPPY CUSTOMERS.I KNOW FOR A FACT EVERY TIME SOMEONE READS THESE FORUMS IT IS COSTING BOMBARDIER MONEY!ARE YOU LISTENING BOMBARDIER????

Old 01-23-2001, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

Ken, I complained about this last April and no one would listen in the forums. They laughed when I said weep hole. I can understand your frustrations. Alot of the problems with the motor I had were solved by letting it breathe. I would sue the dealer for your expenses and any bills incurred. just my opinion though

Old 01-24-2001, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

JamesDS650,
Boy I wish that I had been active on this forum when you made your original post, it would have saved me alot of time, money, and frustration. I personally believe that the exchange of this type of information is what makes this forum worthwhile. I can certainly do without the bike bashing and the "my quad is better than your quad" crap. But, each to his own.

As far as tsking the dealership to court, without a doubt! I am simply allowing time at this point for Bombardier and/or the dealer to respond to my complaint. If they don't respond in a timely or equitable fashion, we will do the dance.

I truly appeciate the support and encouragement that I have received from the members of this forum. The DS is an awesome toy, and if we communicate with each other on the various quirks that it, like others, have, we can enjoy it even more.

Happy trails,
Ken

Old 01-25-2001, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

These forums are simply the best resource anyone remotely interested in ATVs and the like sports could have. Bombardier is a rather large company, I'm sure with many CSRs (Customer Service Representatives) but could it be possible that Denise is the same representative that Fast650 is dealing with? If the CSR you are dealing with is giving you trouble try to speak with a supervisor. As I can tell you are doing, always keep a cool head when talking to them. Keeping calm while making a strong point doubles your chances of a positive resolution.

Old 01-25-2001, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I almost had the experience KenDS had. My DS was down for 2.5 months. All kinds of parts were replaced unnecessarily just to fix the oil/coolant mixing. Everything was covered though and the ATV was put together pretty good, although a few nuts were missing, the engine mounts came loose, the tank cover cracked, the valves too tight, frame scratched, etc.

Quick Reply: Bombardier Customer Service