CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New to Board, New to DS 650

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Board, New to DS 650

If you have the airbox lid off, that completely changes everything regarding the jetting settings, since there is much more air. Hopefully, someone that runs lid off will chime in with their settings. If not, I am sure you can find them using the search function. By the way, $1,200 for even a decent DS 650 is a steal, much less a clean one.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

Jusrlax, I run with no airbox and maybe that's why I was running awesome with the 180 at Glamis.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Believe me, I am far from any sort of expert, and anything that I think I know I learned from OMR's, and other smart guys', posts. That being said, my guess would be that pushing the choke in is not "turning the gas off" but leaning it out too much to run. If I was you, I would take a look at your air/fuel screw setting and/or the pilot jet you are using, if you haven't already.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SilverBomb

Damn, $1200 is a great price man! And I would recommend taking the lid off anyway for dune riding. I don't run an airbox at all.

Jusrlax, what could cause my fuel to shut off when the choke is in? Or maybe we should direct this question at OMR, the master of the stock carb.</end quote></div>

Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I have to stop at chaparral on my way home to pick up battery, i will pick up a 180 and give it a shot.

Thanks for all your help, guys.. if any of you come up with a manual, it would be great! I have both $$ and beers for assistance... even have two of the costco-sized Clamato jugs in my fridge for the beers...

John

Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

If you were running a 180 Mikuni PLUS half choke, I would think that is much richer than just a 180 Mikuni with no choke.

Jusrlax, I run with no airbox and maybe that's why I was running awesome with the 180 at Glamis.</end quote></div>

Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WLD_OTZ

Well, I have to stop at chaparral on my way home to pick up battery, i will pick up a 180 and give it a shot.

Thanks for all your help, guys.. if any of you come up with a manual, it would be great! I have both $$ and beers for assistance... even have two of the costco-sized Clamato jugs in my fridge for the beers...

John</end quote></div>

Hey John I just picked up a DS shop manual on ebay for $16 shipped. You could look there. I could also scan in a few pages from mine and email it to you. I'll see if I can do that later tonight.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jusrlax

If you were running a 180 Mikuni PLUS half choke, I would think that is much richer that just a 180 Mikuni with no choke.

</end quote></div>

My half choke is probably running similar to normal no choke right now, I better PM OMR and see what he thinks about my issues.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Now that I think about it, I bet that your problem is just a bad battery (I missed that in reading your first post earlier). I would try just swapping in a good battery, and seeing how it runs, before messing with the carb again. It is hard for me to believe that the previous owner rode it for so long running badly lean. Is it possible that you aren't getting good plug color because all you've been doing is idling? My understanding is that you've got to be going wide open throttle, then a complete shut down to do an accurate plug color check.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WLD_OTZ

John</end quote></div>

Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

That's what I would do. Please post what he says, so I can know what to look for if something similar ever happens to me, or if my understanding of how the choke works is completely wrong.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jusrlax

If you were running a 180 Mikuni PLUS half choke, I would think that is much richer that just a 180 Mikuni with no choke.

</end quote></div>

My half choke is probably running similar to normal no choke right now, I better PM OMR and see what he thinks about my issues.</end quote></div>

Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

Well, another evening with little success. I put in the new battery and it would not start at all. I pulled one plug and saw that is was fouled with fuel, and also that my float bowl overflow was dripping, so I removed both plugs for cleaning and tore down the carb again, this time removing the needle and seat as well as the diaphragm up on top of the carb.

The needle and seat were gummed up with varnish and the green corrosion that brass gets, so I cleaned all that. There is a groove around the rubber part of the needle valve so i will replace that today. Both the needle and the seat. The diaphragm seems in good shapeand appears to seal well around the lip.

While this was apart, I took stock on my jetting. The Main is a 180, the little bitty one is 32.5, and the pilot is a 45 if memory serves correctly. I also reset the air/fuel valve to 4 turns as directed.

I rolled the motor over for about 15 seconds at full throttle to help clear the excess fuel from the motor.

After cleaning the plugs and reinstalling the reassembled carb, it still leaks out bowl overflow and it will not start, just too much fuel. For reference, I first tried starting it with no choke. When I apply throttle it spins a lot faster, but I believe my plugs could be fouled beyond redemption. I will replace them tonight.

Any other kind words of advice?

Thanks!
John

Quick Reply: New to Board, New to DS 650