CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cams on Stock Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams on Stock Bikes

I was thinking of putting more aggressive cams in my 2000 ds. My bike is pretty much stock. K&N filter and a supposed 3 angle valve job, with Barnett clutch with 60% RWR springs. Would I notice a diffference in installing cams or should I do a higher compression piston along with the cams? Is it worth doing individually? I only have the money for one or the other, and I will be doing all the wrenching. Also do I have to go shim under bucket with the more aggressive cams???

Old 07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you don't HAVE to, you really should go to a higher compression piston when going to a more agressive cam. Otherwise you will most likely loose bottom end. It depends on how agressive a cam as to whether you will require shim unders. Dont expect much in the way of gains just doing the cams alone.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I would recommend looking for a larger carb before doing piston/cams. IF and when you decide to do cams also factor in the cost of a new CDI. THe stock CDI will not allow you to rev to where the agressive cams will want to go...

Old 07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

After having done the OMR stock carb mods, K&N with no airbox, HPR endcap, Big Gun CDI, then graduating to the TM45 carb, Barnett clutch, 80% springs, 22" rears, 15/40 gearing, then 15/42 gearing, I can honestly say that all of those mods combined did not do what dropping in a set of Pami 2 Race Series cams did.
I still haven't put in the high comp piston but at this point I'm asking myself why I would need to. Plenty of power already, of course that is not going to prevent me from dropping it in here before the season kicks off but my point is that the cams made more of a difference then everything else I had done to that point.
Put them in and enjoy.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

Vic, how much moola did those pami cams cost? And how can you get a hold of some?

Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Vic, just as a thought. If you were to go back to stock and drop those Cams in first I bet you would be saying things the other way. One thing to keep in mind, more then the individual parts will do for you, is the sum of all parts working together. Some better together then others....

Vic, did you need the shim under on the Pami II? Just curious...

Old 07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DragonDJ11

Hey Vic, just as a thought. If you were to go back to stock and drop those Cams in first I bet you would be saying things the other way. One thing to keep in mind, more then the individual parts will do for you, is the sum of all parts working together. Some better together then others....

</end quote></div>[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Uh oh! I guess my response opened a can of worms here.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Let me get the easy question out of the way first: SilverBomb, a forum member who I wish to keep anonymous at this time, donated the Pami's to my cause. He refused any type of payment and to this day I appreciate it more than ever. He got a full HPR build with 109's because "they were the IN thing at the time". Team Pami is where you can get them. Not sure about the exchange rate now but back then I believe they were running around $470 in our dollars.
Brent, not to argue your point but in my experience and the sequence of events in which I applied the mods the results that I achieved were that the cams seemed to me to make more of a difference than everything combined that I had done up to that point. I will agree though that everything working together and tuned and adjusted properly will have very favorable effects no matter what order they are applied in. Agreed? Nope, no shim unders. The person that I got them from said he had no issues whatsoever, nor knew anyone who wasn't running shim unders with high performance cams that had issues. I know this topic generates as many points of view as people involved in the conversation. I'm a duner, not a racer, and they have performed flawlessly for me.
Engineer, did that about cover it for you?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

I wish someone would donate me some cams.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] So why do people say you need to go shim unders when you get cams. I'm not a pure drag racer so I don't want the all out drag race cams maybe like a stage 2 type cam that will give me some decent gains. I ride in little sandpits and little trails, but I still like to keep the 450r's behind me. Any Idea on what cams to get, and who makes them.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Usually, without the shim unders the shims will squirt out and get stuck in your valve train. I don't drag race much, I would rather dune and was told that by a very reputable builder.

Quick Reply: Cams on Stock Bikes