CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds650 Cylinder question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds650 Cylinder question

Yep another question. I am going to remic my cylinder again but i think that it is out of spec for the stock piston and rings. My question is what is the cylinder made of? Is it nickel plated? I had just called a local shop and they think that it is. If it is then I am looking at about $270 for a strip, bore, hone, replate. I was shocked. I guess I am still old school and think every cylinder is made of steel and can just be bored and honed.
Thanks again. I am sure I will have more questions in the future.
Denko

Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Alum and yes the shop is being pretty fair.just make sure the plater is very familair with nicasil.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

That a bummer. I appreciate your response. I guess its just going to take longer to get this thing running again.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

To strip and re coat is only about $200. You don't have to bore it out.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats actualy a very good price i have always paid around 250 but i use a aero space company for coating there standard are way up there..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] and we do other buiness so they take good care of me...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] i think???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am really learning alot about these quads. I bought this one basically in a box. The guy i bought it from took itin on a trade. The engine was completely apart. The crank was bad so I bought a new on and then looking at the tranny I noticed that there was pitting on some of the gears so again I bought a new on (used). Then the cases were also pretty wore out around the crank beraings so yep you guessed it some new cases. LOL it would have been alot cheaper if I bought a used engine. Oh well at least I will have a rebuilt enginethat should last.

So if I have them recoat the cylinder that should bring it back to stoke bore? Like I said before I am new to these types of cylinders. I guess another question that I also have is what piston should I use? I was leaning toward the JP brand.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If I needed my cylinder cleaned-up I'd call The Bom Racing. Jeff will hook you up and can get you a new piston and rings to go along with the fresh re-build.

Do it right with someone that is familiar with the DS.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would definitly second that one.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

That makes sense. I will look him up. I am a little worried about sending my stuff out. I have read the posts about Sam Coe and it gets me worried.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: denko

That makes sense. I will look him up. I am a little worried about sending my stuff out. I have read the posts about Sam Coe and it gets me worried.</end quote></div>

He just posted right below you. And he is very trust worthy. I recommend him too.

TheBomb

Quick Reply: ds650 Cylinder question