CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What are we DS 650 guys going to do?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are we DS 650 guys going to do?!?!?

I'm 6'6" 280lbs and I fit on a Z400 just fine and dandy and it's a really fun ride, but like the others have said the ride will kick your *** compared to a DS. The DS takes bumps and woops soooo much Smoother. I love my DS. I don't mind if the new DS isn't a Beast as long as it has a sweet comfortable ride.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a smaller guy than you guys and I have already started looking. I will either get the DS450X or the KFX 450. It is so hard to decide right know, plus it all depends on how much the wife will let me spend. But I will not get rid of my DS650 unless the offer was like a million dollars. pretty soon I can put collector plates on it. LOL

Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

im a lil shorter than 6 ft and i went from a 400ex to my ds and it feels so much better. the first time i rode it i was in love. it was love at first sight. i just got to check out that ds450 and wow. the thing weighs like nothing. it has these gay little reflectors on it though. i really want to try one and feel the power between mine and that thing but i live in a small town so it will be a while before ill actually see one out of the dealership

Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm one that has already switched.

My DS was built up but, at the end of the day it didn't matter.

IMO, you can have a DS with $20,000 in it. . . try to sell and in today's market you'll be lucky to get much over $6,000. I didn't have near that in my bike but, I don't even want to add up all I did have into it.

At the end of the day, it was time for a change for me. I had a couple trips with too many reliability issues and decided it was time to go to a stock-ish bike.

The Raptor 700 has been an impressive bike for me. Doesn't have the power. . . not even near it. But. . . if I want the power I had in my old DS, I could do it for about $3,000 - That's less than 1/2 what it would cost me to mod the DS.
I'm really enjoying the different riding style too. I can throw this bike around like it is nothing. . . could never do that with the DS. I'm learning how to ride all over again.

I'm 6'2" and about 225# and feel comfortable on the bike. The DS did ride better in the rough stuff. I've added a steering stabilizer to the Raptor and the Special Edition piggy-back shocks that came on it help the Raptor's ride over the older models.

It is amazing what a 3-mod Raptor will do. Last DS Day's my little 3-mod was hanging with Ron Wood Stage II and Stage III bikes. Pretty impressive for what it is.

The Honda 700xx looks to me to be the bike that may have big-boy potential but, don't count on it having the modification potential.

If you are jumping ship today, I would look hard at the Raptor. There are a number of us old DS guys that are now putting our leg over one.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
I'm a Plumbing contractor and I have some old friends that always called me Pipelayer for some reason?

yea Mark but you will putt your leg on just about eanything... The Raptor is the bike at this time I just hope not for long

Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pipelayer

yea Mark but you will putt your leg on just about eanything... The Raptor is the bike at this time I just hope not for long</end quote></div>

lol - I won't tell my Wife you said that! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] lol . . . you're killin' me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I do hope BRP comes out with something. They are so close to having something that woulc compete with the likes of the Raptor.

The 650 is a strong engine that could easily be factory bored out to a larger bore to make it closer to a 700. . . more power from the factory!?!?

They can do Fuel Injection - easily!

The new Altec Frame would be great. I see no reason they couldn't up-size it.

Lastly, reverse??? Come-on. . . the company that reverses an engine in a sled for reverse can surely put reverse as another gear in the cases.

BRP could release this bike quickly if they REALLY wanted to.

It just gets me that all the loyal DS people have nothing to upgrade to. The 450 isn't the replacement most of the old DS650 guys are/were looking for.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

NOT All bikes are being scaled down...the raptor is 1 example

can am renegade??? the utv market is sure bumping up

might wanna think about what youre gonna post before you post it..

you have come into a community of atv'rs who are loyal to the DS. we ridethem because, as you have read, they are the most comfortable, ergonomic and forgiving bikes on the market today

faster???other bikes are faster, but the 500lb pig holds it own

Old 08-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: learnem

you have come into a community of atv'rs who are loyal to the DS. we ridethem because, as you have read, they are the most comfortable, ergonomic and forgiving bikes on the market today

faster???other bikes are faster, but the 500lb pig holds it own</end quote></div>

^ ^ ^
This is true, this is true

Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That Renegade is the top of it's class for sure.

I'm sure there are a few old DS guys that will go that way. A few that will get a rail or a SxS but, also a number of them that as time goes on will be looking for a replacement bike that is similar. Today, there really aren't many options.

My buds brother has a Renegade and he rode with us some in Oregon. He was able to go most places but, it is a different type of riding. You aren't going to throw that bike around. . . you are a passenger on that ride.

I don't think anyone is spouting off on here ******* the DS 650. The question of what are you going to replace your DS with was asked. . . that's all.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I'm looking into the Raptor 700 as well. I still got my DS build going on (taking me forever), and one thing I must say the DS is very easy to work on compared to most quads I have had previously owned and worked on. I am glad Can-Am/BRP is another entry into the sport market, but they need to expand on the models they have. Sure the DS450 is a pretty wild machine, but I don't think it's what us loyal DS guys are looking for .

Mark/DuneMe being that you had a 660 how much different is the 700 over it? Are some parts interchangeable? Drain plug? rear grab bar? shifter?? I am parting out my 660 and I wanted to see if any parts are interchangeable so i don't regret selling them off in the future.

Hopefully Feb/March next year I'll get an 08 model. Any issues with the EFI?

Just to let you guys know.. I own a 450.. they are pretty fun machines to ride, almost like a 2 stroke with wheelspin galore, but nothing like a big bore. Power on tap, less clutch work and that big motor just lugs you around effortlessly.

Quick Reply: What are we DS 650 guys going to do?!?!?