CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What are we DS 650 guys going to do?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are we DS 650 guys going to do?!?!?

I have a 04 ds 650 and I know they are bullet proof, but what are we Ds owners going to do when it is time to update. I am a bigger person (not fat) tall 6 foot and the only sport quad I ever have felt comfortable on is the Ds 650. Used to have a raptor but felt very crampt, and the new 450s forget it!, I do hope that can am comes out with a new 700 big bore quad for us guys, what do u think?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

theres been rumors of a new big bore can-am in the works but as for now ds's still run with all the new stuff >.<

Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am married to my DS (way too much invested) to even think about upgradeing.

If i was thinking about it, I would probably buy another new one (mine is a 2000) and build from the frame up.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

I have heard som decent rumors as well. What I've heard is that Can Am had a big bore single motor in DS450 type aluminum frame, and that it was Way too fast to sell to the public. So I guess they're still in the testing phase. I'm sure TPR would know a lot more about these things. Come on TPR tell us what you know! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

i too am married to mine. i have a whole garage full of quads. when you own a ferrari who want a studibaker??? the DS is very fast, comfortable and will beat most quads, even in stock form. if you are a big guy like most of the DS owners are there is no other choice. a ds with the renegade motor would be nice or a factory built big bore with fuel injection, but until then there isn't enough $$$ for me to give up mine. ride a raptor or a bashee on a 200 + mile ride through the desert and compare to how you feel after the same ride on a ds and you would never ask that question again. just my 2 cents.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

"Way too fast to sell to the public" That statement drives me nuts!
Let's see, I have my choice of many Streetbikes that can dip into the nine second 1/4 mile. Supercharged and Turboed personal watercraft. In past years snowmobiles have made big leaps in weight reduction and horsepower increases.
Even utility quads have made big changes towards engine power but we get the same engines, detuned, that are in dirtbikes weighing 150lbs less? Why do we have to see this huge list of modifications in everyones profile? I don't see anyone swapping cams or upping the compression on sportbike forums! They change exhaust and fuel injection modules.

It's sad that a 1987 (that's 22 model years!!) Suzuki LT500 would still smoke most of the 450s offered today. The DS650 was created somewhere around 1990 and took 10 years to see production. I'd like to see someone break the mold for sportquads and put out some actual power but I won't hold my breath.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

No kidding, we want power from the factory, just like every other machine out there.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rjk2k7

I have a 04 ds 650 and I know they are bullet proof, but what are we Ds owners going to do when it is time to update. I am a bigger person (not fat) tall 6 foot and the only sport quad I ever have felt comfortable on is the Ds 650. Used to have a raptor but felt very crampt, and the new 450s forget it!, I do hope that can am comes out with a new 700 big bore quad for us guys, what do u think?</end quote></div>

Hard to imagine that at only 6-feet you feel cramped on every sport machine.... I know guys who are 6-4/6-5 who ride YFZ and 450R and z400 machines with no issues at all......

The DS650 was a big machine, no question about it...... but 6-feet is not all that tall - are you really that cramped or do you just "feel" cramped because you are used to the DS650?

Do you have bad knees or something? I ask because my Father bought his KFX700 because he too felt cramped on the smaller sport machines at only 6-feet..... but with him he has bad knees that don't like to bend very far, and he rode Polaris his whole life and he likes bigger machines.....

I guess you can always just keep your DS650 forever....... or as you said hope for a new bigger machine....... problem is that all the new machines are scaled down in size..... heck the DS650 itself saw one size scale down during its lifetime.......so Ii expect anything new would probably not be as big as the old DS650.....

Old 08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I should have said that better, ya its not that its probly not the fact that the 450s are smaller, just the fact that I am used to the large size of the DS, come to think of it I never felt cramped on my old raptor till I stated riding my friends DS. I only say this because couple of months ago I was riding with a buddy with a new KFX 450 I hoped on it took it for a ride felt sooo small, but hey it is what it is, and btw the ds ran all over the kfx in a 450 my friend was amazed!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

im 6 4 300lbs and my dad is 6 5 330, last ohv's b4 the ds's were a banshee and an atc 250r both of which beat the hell out of you I dont think I could ever go back. Smaller bikes are fun but when it comes to days of riding, I got tired of coming home not being able to move and i wouldn't trade the reliability for anything.

Quick Reply: What are we DS 650 guys going to do?!?!?