CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2006 DS650 baja vs. any other quad

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 DS650 baja vs. any other quad

Hi, I'm in the market of getting a new quad and have done a ton of research on just about every sport quad out there. Now, I'm just looking for the best for the cheapest (just about what everyone wants right? lol) Anyways, with my financial situation right now, I'm stuck between spending all of my money on a used 2006 DS650 baja or spending half my money on a used 2004 Predator 500 and having cash left over. I'm 6'1" and only 150lbs (I know, I'm the tall skinny kid) so I know the Bombardier might be a problem as far as handling goes, but I've also heard that the Predator is one of the slower ones out there and is hard to do wheelies on. I'm kind of stuck and don't know what to do. Should I choose between these two or does anyone have any suggestions on any other quad I should get? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

the only other wheeler i would get besides a ds 650 is a 450r. but im a lil shorter than you. one of my buddies had a predator and raced it. he put alot of money in it but the thing was amazing. it had some tators not going to ly. it was older and started having some problems though. I had a 400ex for a few years the went to my ds and i love it. they are an amazing machine. i was only honda and now im a can am guy. if your any good at riding you can handle the ds you just have to get used to it. i would recomd the ds though. But thats just my opionion. get what feels right for you

Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

My girlfriend's brother has a 2001 DS650 and I rode it. The thing is amazingly fast! The power on it is unbelievable and its very comfortable. The only concern that I have in the back of my mind is that it's very heavy in comparison to other quads. The one I'm thinking about getting is about 500lbs dry weight. I've been riding quads for a long time now so I guess handling wouldn't be a big issue but then again, every quad is different in some way or another.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

If you want a decent bike with allot of afermarket support and cheap look at a Raptor 660. They are fairly easy to find and build compared to DS!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

No don't get a Raptor 660, doesn't even compare to a DS. The Ergo's and Suspension are waayyy better. Just sit on them both and give them a little spin. To answer your original question though, the DS is a much better all around machine than the Predator. Power, Comfort, and quality to name a few things. Go DS all the way and you'll never look back! There is absolutely nothing out there that can touch a DS for the money. Good luck my friend!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

They might not compare but you sure can build them allot cheaper and parts are much easy'r to find and get! This also depends on how and were you are going to riding your bike.

If there is a way for you to find a good used Raptor 700 they are the way to go esp if you want the best all around quad built!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

ATV -FAN I would do what u feel is right u have to weigh yur opp. one is the 04 polaris some good useable power butis a little bit smaller. u are a tall guy for one and it is 2 years older than the ds and the ds has comfort and power alot of it depends on your riding style and were you are going to ride.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

My style of riding would be riding up in the mountains on trails and logging roads. I don't think I would get into serious racing or anything. If thats the case, I think I would get the YFZ. I have an '01 Honda Rancher ES which is great in the winter and going on extreme trails because it's 4 wheel drive, but I want something faster. I have something thats great for the tight trails and rough conditions. I want something that hauls *** but is still tough enough to go on some off-road trails. The only problem is that I don't know what to get.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

I would go with the ds thats my personel opp. u will be able to haul azz and the comfort ride is awesome . the guy i got my ds off of had hit a jeep with it ??? he said it did some damage to the jeep as the ds it did mayb a little hole in the plastic and that has been all the damage that i can tell it did!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thats funny cuz I've ridden one and they feel like tanks lol! I wouldn't doubt that the ds screwed up the jeep. They are very comfortable, but what do you guys (the ones that have one) think of the weight?

Quick Reply: 2006 DS650 baja vs. any other quad