CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

strange happenings

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange happenings

has anyone had this problem, for some reason my valve cover gasket keeps blowing out. can any body tell me whats going on, is my engine building up to much pressure and pushing this gasket out, is my oil to thin, when i change the gasket should i also put valve cover gasket sealer on the gasket also. this has happen twice already and i cant figure it out. i tighten the bolts to its proper specifications, if i ride slow everything works fine, but the moment i open her up that gasket blows right out the side, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:40 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

On the right side of motor is the crankcase vent hose. It runs up to the top of carb and enters the left air intake hose, to airbox.
Is the vent hose blowing alot of oil into air hose?
OMR

Old 09-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Trailblazer

i dont know if i should have done this now that you mentioned it, but that hose that your talking about, i put a filter on it, if you look at my photos you could see the filter its purple and black, should i remove that filter and let the hose breath.oh and to answer your question i just took the filter off and it was just a very small amount of oil on the filter.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

i also used a filter for a couple of years. under a heavy load like hill climbing ,especially at the cynders, it would blow oil EVERYWHERE from it. to the point i would have to wash it during the trip. never blew the gasket though. i used a stainless steel filter from auotzone. it was washable and i washed it every cople of rides. what i found was the rings were leaking and causing the excess preasure in the cases. we did a "bag" test to check for leaks.
heres how:
1) lock the motor to TDC
2) tape or seal a plastic bag(sandwich size) around the carb & exhast pipe and vent tube.
3) through the spark plug hole presureize the cylinder. ther is an automotive kit for preasurizing this. my buddy had one, it comes with the fittings, filler & a gage so you know how presure it is taking on.
when you fill the cylinder with air, if there is a leak the bags will fill up & expand. this will tell you if the rings are blowing by or if the cylinder is worn. it will also tell if the valves and seats are leaking. i had the piston out once and did not replace the rings. they did not set back in when i replaced the cylinder. on this last build i replaced the piston & rings and had the cylinder recoated. not sure if this is the problem but it sounds kinda similar. also i reconnected the vent hose back to the snorkel after this build.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

This sounds like some good advise but if all else fails i would check the cover for warping.Im only saying this because me and jeff rivercity both hab pami 760's and a pami 830 that had blowby like compressrs @ one point i tested 28lbs of case presure and i never blew a gaskt and jeff had a little cabnister on his to catch the oil from his blowby he would have to drain it on long trips.oh by th way i used the same stainless filter as kayalas daddy did and it always did a good job of keeping a little bit of the oil in the bike.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

im not loosing any oil through that filter at all, the bike runs great no loss of power, no smoke no noise of any sort, my concern is why my valve cover gasket keeps blowing out. and it blows out in the same exact spot every time.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

WARP INPERFECTION.....Dose your wife have a pretty glass table in the house if she dose. Ill tell you what i woul do.I would sneek in when she's not looking and slide back the table cloth or doielie which ever apply lay my valve cover on the glass and see if ot has any wobble at all if it dose its warped and if she catches you run like a scalded dog straight for a jewelry shop and don't come back until you have a just besause ring!!!!! for her preferably a carate or more diamond in a platimum setting(In this case gold won't get it) Things like this is why my wife sports a 2.5 in platinum ring[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] There may be cheaper ways of doing this but so far ive been to dum to figure it out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer

how would the valve cover all of a sudden just warp. is this a normal problem with the ds 650.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i would not be know that answer there could be many reasons but the most popular is it is a pig alum composite and it was orinignaly milled to specs.Then it was installed on the motor probably with air tools and ill bet it was not torqued or tightened in any special order and then it was held under varieing torques for some time however old it is being heated up and cooled down for many cycles and thats fine as long as its original but you change the gasket and this means she should be replained to conform to the new gasket this is rare but i have seen it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

well i tried the glass table, and it looks perfectly straight to me no warps, mybe it is a pressure build up inside the engine, which i dont understsnd, whats really crazy is, that every time i put the gasket back on when i ride and open the bike up some how the gasket is forced out in the same area, right by the spark plug.

Quick Reply: strange happenings