CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help for can-am ds90x

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for can-am ds90x

Anyone familiar with the can-am ds90x? Oil smells burnt after every ride. I have taken it to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong but I am sure something isn't right or there is an explaination for it. Not real confident in the dealer at this point and having a hard time contacting can-am (brp) directly for tech questions.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

dealer sucks, in the head is a plug, or 2 they might leave behind in assembly. pull rocker covers and inspect,,,,,, crank to primary pully net is likely to back off also..... watch it...my daughter races an 08

Old 09-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

You're going to need to dig a little more at your dealer:

In June, I purchased my daughter a "NEW" 2008 DS90X. I also had the smell of burnt oil after every ride. I figured it was just breaking in. Soon thereafter it started smoking bad. At 6 hours (end of June), it went back to the dealership. The problems were diagnosed as a leaking head gasket, a disintegrating rubber air intake tube, carburetor problems and a dead battery. In addition, the right, rear reflector broke off because when it was welded to the chassis it was sitting against the muffler and the nylon net foot rests had already torn. 6 hours! To top it off, I was unimpressed with its power. I was told it wouldn't be ready until the end of July due to a factory parts backorder.

Flash forward to the end of August and the dealership told me that the parts were still unavailable so they were going to take another new DS90X off the showroom floor to service my daughter's bike.

September, the service department had 2 other NEW DS90s come back with many of the same problems. Their plan was now to take a second DS90X from the showroom floor to repair all 3 machines. According to the dealer, BRP became involved (I believe at the dealer's request) and sent a couple of reps down to figure out what was going on. Estimated repair time, 1 year. Apparently BRP has to redesign, retool, and remanufacture. The dealership was told not to sell anymore DS90s and to refund my money.

The bike is still sitting at the service department as I patiently wait for my dealership to restructure my financing (more than one purchase was made) and refund my money so I can buy something else. This is the best thing that could happen since I was very unimpressed with her DS90X from day one and was disappointed with the purchase. My Outlander MAX 400 H.O. XT 4x4, on the other hand, has been extremely fun.

Good luck with your dealership!