CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to buy or not to buy

WOW, I think I am in love!!! I am new to ATV's and have been doing tons of research for quite a while.

I thought I like the Rancher, but I think I love the Outlander!!!!

Is it worth the extra money?

It seems like it comes with a lot of extra options that I would end up buying anyways.

300lb weight carrying capacity, WOW............. I am going to go check one out tomorrow.

However, I am a little confused, what is a CVT sub transmission?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The Rancher I belive is a manual shift and the Outlander is a CVT (constant volosity transmission) AKA automatic. These machines are totaly diff the Rancher will be powerd by a 420EFI Engine the Outlander is by a 500/650/800 all EFI as well but they are totaly diff quads the Outlander is much bigger than the Rancher and much more powerfull! You just need to sit on both and go with the one that feels best to you. If you are doing a bunch of actual tight trail riding the Rancher will be better of the two but for all the other type of riding the outlander would be the one to get.I would also take a look at the other manufacturers machines as well, all are good just find the one that fits you best. Don't forget that Polaris has a all new machine 550/800XP that is suppost to be a nice machine. I am personally looking at buying a new Yamaha Grizz 700! You can take this poll and see what everone else likes as well. http://forums.atvconnection.co...ht_key=y&keyword1=POLL

Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Sorry double post!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

These machines are totaly diff the Rancher will be powerd by a 420EFI Engine the Outlander is by a 500/650/800 all EFI as well but they are totaly diff quads the Outlander is much bigger than the Rancher and much more powerfull!highlight_key=y&keyword1=POLL[/L]</end quote></div>

I'm confused, the Can-Am website shows the Outlander 400 as a 400cc. I am not sure what you meant when you wrote 500/650/800.

In my post I was referring to the 2009 Outlander 400 EFI XT

Old 09-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I have apologize as I thought you wouls be looking for more of a midsize Utility (500 and up not a 400). Here is a lik as to all there quads. http://www.brp.com/en-US/Products/CanAm/Showroom/

Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

Here's the one I am considering.
http://www.brp.com/en-US/Produ.../Outlander400HOEFI.htm

I'm just a little guy, about 130 lbs so don't need a ton of power.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Nice machine but of the two I would probobly go with the Honda as you are get a great long lasting engine in the 420 very easy on fuel and for 09 the also have a new Rancher with IRS. Most people will tell you to stay from the ES models thoe and to get a Rancher with a SRA but I would take a good look at the one with IRS as the IRS machines are so much more enjoyable to ride than SRA machines!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

When you get forum advice, be sure to look at the poster's sig at the bottom of the post. It may tell you something about the validity of the opinion.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Or you can take advice from a guy that is only here to start crap, as it might make him feel better about his own purchase. Your choice!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nice machine but of the two I would probobly go with the Honda as you are get a great long lasting engine in the 420 very easy on fuel and for 09 the also have a new Rancher with IRS. Most people will tell you to stay from the ES models thoe and to get a Rancher with a SRA but I would take a good look at the one with IRS as the IRS machines are so much more enjoyable to ride than SRA machines!

Agreed. Can Am's are great (I presently have an 800 Outlander). But in the 400 class IMHO I would go with the new Honda w/ IRS & EFI. Should be an awesome, bulletproof machine that will provide years of <u>reliable </u> fun.