CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Grizz 700 to renegade 800

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizz 700 to renegade 800

Just for the record the Can-Am 800R Hp #'s are 68.4 and for the Popo is 70.0!
Here is a link to a side by side comparison's.
http://www.powersportsnetwork....8&vehicle2=86553&go=Go
http://www.powersportsnetwork....8&vehicle2=86557&go=Go
http://www.powersportsnetwork....&vehicle1=87157&go2=Go

Just 1.6 more HP. If the popo is heavier the advantage should go to Can Am.

Not that I am trying to sart a manufactures war but here is a link to a 850XP vs 800R in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqe-bfxEc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...62m5ko&feature=related

People on several popo sites that I visited were fair enough to say that it appeared that the rider on the popo was more experienced than the guy on the Can Am. Personally, I'd like to see them line up on black top so we could see which one was quicker/faster. I presently have an 800MAX and have had an EFI Sportsman 700 in the past. Both great bikes...both have their pluses and minuses. I can't wait to take a ride on the 850XP -- should be a heckuva machine.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

i ride a 660 grizzly for 4 years now. i just purchased a 800 can am and there's no comparison. The grizzs in my opinion is a Cadillac compared to the can am. the only thing better from the 800
is nothing. it's very fast but unstable. and remember its not a real 4x4.......................................

Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

A Can Am is more "unstable" than a tippy slug like a grizz?????? Sorry but I really disagree with that. And the Visco is just as much a 4 X 4 system as a manual locker, just much more convienent and reliable. No stopping to push buttons, no steering problems, just go.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

i ride a 660 grizzly for 4 years now. i just purchased a 800 can am and there's no comparison. The grizzs in my opinion is a Cadillac compared to the can am. the only thing better from the 800
is nothing. it's very fast but unstable. and remember its not a real 4x4.......................................

Dimensions of a 660 Grizz

Width: 45.3
Height: 47.6

Dimensions of an 800 Renegade/Outlander

Width: 46
Height 45

So the Can am is not only wider, but lower to the ground than the Grizzly, and yet somehow manages to defy the laws of physics, as it is more unstable than the narrower and higher 660 Grizzly. Really???

Me thinks with your new and way faster Can Am, that you may need to apply the brakes much harder when entering a turn, as you're probably going twice as fast as you're use to on your 660 Grizzly. Could be the reason why you're feeling like the machine is unstable. When I moved up from my Rubicon to the 800 it took me awhile to adjust to the awesome speed of the 800 Can Am. Enjoy your new bike.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Cardiac

A Can Am is more "unstable" than a tippy slug like a grizz?????? Sorry but I really disagree with that.</end quote></div>

I was thinking the same thing. My Grizzly 700 is a lot more stable feeling than my prior Grizzly 660s were, and my Renegade 800 is more stable feeling than the Grizzly 700 is. So there really shouldn't be any contest between the Grizzly 660 and Renegade 800 when it comes to feeling stable. I couldn't really understand what he was even getting at with the way it was worded though.

There are too many variables to speculate on. Does he have an Outlander 800, or a Renegade 800? How is the shock preload set? Is it the X package with the damping dialed all the way down? What is he carrying on the racks if he has them? What tires are on each ATV? So who knows...???

DV

Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Freewheeler, I haven't experienced any problems on my Renegade where water is concerned. Maybe I was lucky, maybe mine is sealed better for whatever reason than those i read complaints from. Maybe I just haven't been deep enough. I have had the water over the cvt housing though expecting problems and fortunately didn't experience any. I haven't had it in water up to the seat. I love my Renegade with two exceptions. First, the front of the machine bottoms hard frequently when trying to clear rocks. Needless to say my Ricochet skid plate needs to be replaced soon. Secondly, and I'm not interested in debating this with anyone, but the frames are vulnerable to bending. If you happen to bump anything with either front wheel, instead of the a arms bending, the frame will absorb the stress first and bend first. A costly repair. I've also read people having problems with the rear trailing arms bending as well. On the other hand, with all due respect, the power of that motor is exciting to say the least. Now I admit I haven't ridden a 700 Grizzy, but from what I've heard, I'd have to agree with the other members claiming the Grizzly is smoother at slower speeds. The Renegade just seems to be more comfortable at a faster pace. If you like to ride at a faster pace and crave acceleration, you might be happy with a Renegade. However, if that's not important to you and you'd rather have something that no one ever seems to complain about integrity of the frame, well you might want to stay with the Yamaha.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently went from a 2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660 to a 2008 Can-am Outlander 650 XT. I can't believe the difference. The power, handling, torque, overall looks, you name it.....Love the CAN-AM!!1

Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 660 Grizzly and a 800 Renegade in the shed right now. I consider both to be of totally different classes. The Grizzly is the do-it-all bike, it has huge ground clearance, a super soft suspension for the hard stuff, superb water dept capacity for mud/water crossings, and it pretty much goes through anything on 4x4 with it's awesome 4x4 system... That said, it handles pretty bad at high speeds and well, it seriously lacks power.

The Renegade on the other hand is a BOMB on power... But for mud ridding, it's not really a cool bike... First off you have no mud protection... Then you have much smaller ground clearance... Then, in stock form at least, it cannot ford into much water before having problems, etc... On the groomed trail though, this is THE beast... I can pretty much take any turn head on full speed... I can go through hard stuff at high speed and not worry about the suspension, etc...

They are two totally different beasts. I would not recomment a Can-Am to someone who does mainly mud... I would not recommend the Grizzly to someone who likes fast/aggressive trail ridding... Of course either can be modified to do whatever you like, but in stock form, they are totally different beasts.

I gotta say though... Once you tasted a 800's power... You die a little inside when you sit back on the Grizzly... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]