CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander VR problems.....I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander VR problems.....I have a question.

Hello everyone. New to the board. I just bought a used 2004 330 Outlander and it seems to not be charging the battery. I've read about the Voltage Reg problems with these models and mine is in the back by the battery. Not sure of the single or double wire plug though.......I can charge the battery and it will work fine for about 12 starts and a couple of hours of riding, then clicks when I try to start it after that. Its done this two times in the past week. It starts fine with the pull start however after the battery gives out and runs great.

The Outlander uses a magneto setup to produce the electrical power and a rectifier setup to convert to DC. The VR is used only to regulate charging current to the battery while the engine is running.....that's what I thought anyway. It only uses the battery for starting as I understand it and should run fine without a battery IMO. I've got an old '85 three wheeler that Ive ridden for about 3 years with no battery at all installed using the pull start exclusively.

My question is, why are so many people talking about being stranded and their rides quiting on them when the VR dies? I rode mine today for about 2 hours after the battery started clicking with no issues other than having to use the pull starter. I'm just trying to understand the VR issue, so don't take this wrong.....I just can't understand how the VR could leave you stranded like I keep reading on many forums. The magneto/rectifier system should be supplying 12 vdc to the bike with or without the battery.

Could anyone fill me in where my thinking is flawed? I'm not sure which way to go to fix my Outlander, or even if I really want to since it starts so good with the pull start and a new VR costs 100+ $$$....ya know? LOL

Thanks to anyone that can set me straight on this!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander VR problems.....I have a question.

Pretty common for the voltage regulator to go bad on these units. Ya if you have one with the single plug vr then you will have to buy the interface cable and vr should be around 300 bucks.