CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

05 DS650 Battary issues anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 DS650 Battary issues anyone else?

bought this quad brand new and have had regular main. done on it. this is the 5th battary thats died on me. have had the dealer look at it and they told me nothing was wrong with it. last week end went out riding and after about 3 hrs of riding it died and would'nt crank. just the relay buzzed. tried to charge that battary and wouldnt hold, bought a new one and charged and put it in and checked, it was charging just over 14 volts before we left today. rode around for about 3 hrs today and same thing died and wouldnt crank. got it home and trying to charge but it doesnt seem to be taking either. SOME THING HAS GOT TO BE WRONG WITH THIS. possably got bad battary but i dout it, any ideas?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Look for grounding issues there are tons of threads on this.make sure your grounds are good.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

i have an 04..been doing this since first day i bought it brand new in 2004...been thru everything and ever one...search my name and see what everyone says it may work for you..mine sits in garage basicaly brand new..never ridin..very sad but have no faith in her to ride...but cant let her go incase something is found that works..

Old 11-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Chris, that is really a shame. I remember reading about your electrical gremlins a few years ago. The ground strap did not end up solving your problem? If it was me, I would buy a complete wiring harness off ebay (I see them all the time), and try to re-wire the entire bike, and much as that would suck.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: chirochris

i have an 04..been doing this since first day i bought it brand new in 2004...been thru everything and ever one...search my name and see what everyone says it may work for you..mine sits in garage basicaly brand new..never ridin..very sad but have no faith in her to ride...but cant let her go incase something is found that works..</end quote></div>

Old 11-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

the strap didnt work..i have no clue how to do any electrical or i woud i love my ds but havent used it in yrs ..new tires and some mods and it just sits there...i think it is something to do with lights and water..when it gets wet its over and seems if i use lights its over also..i have no clue...

sad very sad

Old 11-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

Just like everyone else said, add another ground wire. I added one, didn't help either, but it doesn't hurt for if one of the factory ones fail. Take a volt meter and check your battery when the fourwheeler is off. Remember what the volt meter reads then start the ds and see if the number on the voltmeter is higher. It is supposed to be higher when the ds is running. If not then you have a bad rectifier or something like rust on your magneto.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

THE GROUND WIRES MEAN NOTHING IF YOU DON'T HAVE THREE SOLID GROUND POINTS AND LOOKING AND SEEING THINGS LOOOOK GO0D DOSE NOT CUT IT YOU NEED TO REMOVE AND SAND ALL THREE POINTS.THE DS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS ONE OF THE SIMPLEST I HAVE EVER SEEN.IT OFFERS NO REAL SUPRISES.AND YOUR VOLTAGE RUNNING SHOULD BE 13.2 TO 13.6 AND WITH EVERY THING ON IT SHOULD STILL BE 13-12.7.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

i have had it to a canam dealer.they no nothing .i put the electrical strap on..ground all connections down with a dremmel and it still doesnt work...how do i test voltage...with what and connected to where?...what if it isnt at those levels..then what?..keep in mind i have had tried 2 rectifiers already..even a new starter..3 batteries..but will check voltage myself and see

Old 11-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Range Rover

The voltage meter will have two wires that come off of it (positive/negative) Touch the positive side to the positive side of the battery, and touch the negative side of the volt meter to the negative side of the battery. All your checking is the battery itself. Use the numbers that AZSAND posted to see if yours is comparative. If your voltmeter has a dial on it make sure that you set the volt meter above 12 Volts. The main thing is to have a higher reading on the volt meter when the ds is running then when the ds is shut off. If it reads the same both ways then it's probably retifier, or something on the magneto.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

ChiroChris, just another idea for you. Have you ever replaced the stock CDI??(Rev Box) If you have a bad one it will not run at all.

Quick Reply: 05 DS650 Battary issues anyone else?