CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Where did my grease fitting go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a Full 730 Race Build!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did my grease fitting go?

I had a new axle carrier installed that came with a zerk alrerady on it and my installer drilled a hole in the swingarm to access the zerk. Everything was lined up prefectly when I got her back. After a few rides the chain (new) had stretched so I tightened it up but then the zerk dissapeared from the access hole as the carrier rotates in the swingarm to tighten the chain, no big deal, I understand this is how it works. So I figure I'll just take the chain off and rotate the carrier untill she comes back around to meet the access hole. She makes one full rotation in the swingarm but when it comes back around to the access hole the zerk is offset to the right of the hole just less than like an inch, enough so that I can not get a grease gun on the zerk. What could have possible happened here, I am at a total loss here?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Got any pics? I'm sorta confused as to what you're trying to explain..

Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well, if you look directly into the access hole dead center on you can not see the zerk. You have to look from the left of the hole to see it as the zerk is off to the right. To see it head on I would have to drill another hole about 3/4 inch to the right of the existing access hole. I know it's easier for me because I can see it but does this make it clearer? I hope so, if not I'll try to get a pic up. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

So you're saying that the fitting is on the actual bearing carrier and not on the swing arm itself??? If that's the case I would most definitely have that malfunction corrected.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well, that's the way the carrier came, with the zerk mounted on the carrier itself. Is that not how they are normally done? I have an ODP swingarm, not sure if that makes a difference. Also not sure the zerk even could be installed on the swingarm as the zerk is recessed below what would be flush with the swingarm, in other words, when I got it back and all was good and the zerk lined up with the access hole even then the zerk was about 5 mm below the surface of the access hole.