CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What do you think of THIS???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of THIS???

Hello all,

I just joined this site and from what I've seen so far a fair amount of folks here have an idea of what they're talking about...

So I have an Outlander 500 XT and a lot of problems! I have been through the mill with the bike so far, I love the power but hate the drive system! I am currently on my 5th belt!!! I have snorkeled the belt box and intake and whenever I check them they are bone dry so i know water isn't the issue! I have an EPI clutch kit and an extreme duty belt currently but the belt is wearing as fast as the others! I have gone through the entire drive system many times and haven't a clue where to go from here!!! I'm looking for any help or suggestions as to proceed from here! Does anyone have experience with this issue?

No let me say something on the possitive side...The bike has power to spare and the suspension is great! I run 27" Outlaws and have no problems turning them! I have SS rims and a HMF Penland Pro slip-on and love them all! I added a Moose Power Commander and get so much more power and RPM's from it! I want so badly to fix the tranny issue so I can continue to **** on all the guys I ride with!!!

Thanks for any help in advance!!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome! For the most part there is a good groop of guys here to help you out unforortunatly I am not knowlegeble enough with the Outlander to give you any poiters other than to say I belive there is a snorkle kit designed just for the tranny. Someone will chime in to give you hand. Good luch I hope you get it fixed,and YES the Power of the Can-Am's is insane!

Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a bunch! I did the complete snorkel job that I found on youtube and at mudanddirt.com...So I'm sure it's not that but I know the guys here will give me a good direction to go from!!! Later!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Trailblazer

welcome aboard ????? one question are you running the same belt over or trying different brands and im sure your limited on brands

Old 12-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

You say a lot of problems. What else beside the belt? If you are running anything other than the rather expensive OEM belts, you will not get any length of service. The OEM's are recommended on just about every Can Am forum. You may want to do a search on EPI kits. There has been a lot of problems associated with them. I have an 800 so my info comes from that direction, not the 500. But I follow several CanAm forums and read most of the posts. Belts usually go bye bye because of heat. Driving in hi range with big tires when you should be in lo can contribute. Too restrictive on the snorkle size can also be a factor. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for here.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You!!! I have an EPI kit so there is a good place to start! I have used the only three belts I could find other then stock...EPI, Highlifter, And Dayco!! I am going to try to mess with the weights now and see if that takes me anywhere! I have 2" run for the air intake and two 1 1/2" for the belt box! I followed mudanddirt to the letter and I feel confident the box is getting enough air! I am thinking that the factory parts may be faulty so what does one think of replacement of the primary and secondary??? Thanks for the help so far!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

i would be gettin the alignment checked on the clutches after the 2nd belt... the clutches gettin really hot? popping belts?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I never even knew the shop could do that! Man I feel stupid...Thanks that sounds like a pretty reasonable reason to be shredding belts!!!

You Rock Bro!!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

no problem... post what the problem was.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dropped Off the bike to my boy at the dealership...The bike was opened up and ready for him so he checked the alignment and it was within tolerances for factory! He adjusted it to perfect anyway to be sure I'm good and we're gonna put it back together tonight and get a ride in tomorrow and check it out after...He also mentioned that a guy called today saying that he's blowing belts too!!! My buddy is going to talk to him and see if we have similar issues!

I'll keep you in the loop as to what we find out in the coming days and hopefully I'll have a fix to post!!! (keep your fingers crossed for me...LOL)