CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need Help with charging system

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with charging system

I've been working on my 2000 DS650 that has a charging problem, it will run until the cooling fan comes on and eventually drains the battery.

Here is what I have found/done:

1- Initial start up 14.6 volts & 4.65 amps approx.
2- With engine cold or warmed up if I jumper the cooling fan to run voltage drops to 14.3 volts (which is good) but when I rev the engine up and down the charging will stop within a few cycles of revving, voltage drops to battery voltage (11.8-12.2 volts) and 3 amps, machine will keep running until voltage is too low for ignition
3- If engine is shut off or the connection with the 3 yellow wires from the stator where it plugs into voltage regulator are unplugged for a few seconds and either restarted or reconnected and restarted with the fan off voltage will be back to 14.6 volts until fan is turned on again and engine is reved.
4- when running in the no-charge condition the stator is putting out 18+ volts and goes up with reving engine.
5- battery is new
6- voltage regulator is a new Procom unit, I replaced the factory regulator when I had the initial charging problem because voltage output was erratic and peaking at over 16 volts
7-all fuses are okay
8-all ground wires tested okay, and I also tried running it with a ground directly from battery to the engine and it made no difference
9-wiring looks good everywhere
10-stator continuity tested okay (.3 to .5 ohms)
11-stator insulation tested okay
12-stator dynamic test seems okay, running around 18 to 24 volts ac depending on idle rpm, voltage goes up with rpm increase but is a little erratic, all three phases have same output
13-trigger coil tested okay (275 ohms)
14-I thought maybe the cooling fan is bad and pulling too many amps so I disconnected it and hooked up a good LTZ400 cooling fan which made no difference, had same problem, so I'm confident the cooling fan is okay
15-I think the new Procom regulator may be bad but not sure and a new Bombardier rectified is $140, I live in a small town and nobody owns a DS650, if they did I would borrow their regulator and see if it worked

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer

do you have a schematic to follow? if so maybe share it so ppl can help you go through it.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't have a schematic, but I have a service manual, that is how I performed all the tests. Why I am not sure if its the voltage regulator is because of it working sometimes, nobody seems to have an answer as to why. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

TRY GROUNDING THE MOTOR WITH BATTERY CABLES DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY WITH JUMPER CABLES AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS AND 4.ANYTHING IS NOT ENOUGH AMPS TO MAINTAIN YOUR BATTERY.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

As I noted I did try running a ground directly to the engine (I don't blame you for not reading it all, it is awfully long, but complete) it made no difference. How many amps should be going to the battery?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] You caught me i did not read it all but i can tell you it is not always easy to get a gooood ground to the motor and what your detailing here is a weak ground.some times an electrical system can charge just fine under a small draw but once you apply a steady heavy load it will heat the bad grounding area up and loose continuity and that is how most elec fire acure.but i will run out and test a good charging system right now and give you some charging spec's amperage wise. be back soon.-well im back my wifes 05 baja x at idle puts out 7.6amps and ith the lioghts all on7.9 and 9.7amps at 5000 rpms do you mind me asking what type of meter your doing your ampreage testing with.and there is also a system ground somewhere i cant rember where it is stock because all my bikes are modded but check that too.your cdi is only blown by a grounding issue.but i have seen then go out naturaly but this sounds suspecious.i will go back and read better now.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

az...u sure have your hands full..i think i will stay in this post and see...i have the same problem as u know...i cant find anything...

az can u give us( really me) a description of were to find all these plugs...i feel like its coming from my high beam aux lights..

Old 12-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

THOSE LIGTS ARE VERY EASY TO ELIMINATE THEY UNPLUG RIGHT BEHIND THE LIGHTS THEM SELFS JUST UNPLUG THEM AND SEE WHAT YOU READ THEN I HAVE HEARD OF THEM HAVING AMPERAGE PROBLEMS BY DRAWING TOO MUCH I TOOK THEM OFF MY BIKE BUT MY WIFE STILL RUNS HERS AND HAS NO PROBLEMS.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

each aux light has its own plug?

i found the main headlight plug ...i assume they r different

Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

YES THEY EACH HAVE THERE OWN PLUG AND ITS RIGHT BEHIND THE LIGHT THEMSELFS.VERY EASY TO ELIMINATE.JUST UNPLUG THEM BOTH.

Quick Reply: Need Help with charging system