CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

660r COMPARED with the DS650

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont want this to turn into a bashing contest!! I just want to know the weak points and the strong points of both machines. From the bombardier side. Believe me I've heard it all from the Raptors point of view. Sometime's I ashamed to own a Raptor because the first thing most people want to do is argue, thats not what I'm after here. Just want some thoughts on the two Great machines. Thanks

2fast

Old 02-05-2001, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Performance wise they are equal. It is just a mater of personal taste. If I lived back east I might have a Raptor but I am a big guy and I fell more comfortable on the DS650.

Old 02-05-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have a DS and my buddie has a Raptor. After riding his, one thing comes to mind. There about the same in a drag but one thing I've noticed on the Raptor is the arm pulling torq from take-off to mids. The DS has that only in the mids(stock). I like the feel of the DS in corners and going fast, the raptor wheelies to easy for me(I guess I would learn to control it if I owned one). Now there's other differneces but they have been covered in other posts. And the biggest difference now thinking about it is there's a ton of after market stuff for the Raptor and jack for the DS, even thou the DS has been out alot longer..... Don't want to start me on this subject. Good luck with your Raptor, just remember you'll always be second best! Had to say that because like other males in the wild..... I want to be top dog! See man, have a good ride.

Old 02-05-2001, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor has more of a low punch out of the hole-shot, stock for stock.I think the Tires on the Raptor hook up better then the DS tires.My EX tires also hook up better then my DS.It is a matter of tast,because both machines have there advantages.I myself, love the mid punch of the Rotax engine.But in real tight woods riding,I would rather be on a Raptor, or my EX. I have seen a guy bend a A-arm on a Raptor before and with my size That leaned me to the DS.But I have had the two of the main problems that you hear about on the DS, (the fan and chain rollar)go out on my DS.They put a better chain rollar on with bearings,and have not had any problems since.They also put a new fan on because it was shorting out the fuses. it has been working great since.I think that with a company jumping into the high-performance atv market like Bombardier did,so far I am impressed.The DS has a few bugs but nothing to bad.It feels solid and fast,and is very comfortable, and thats what I was looking for.

Old 02-05-2001, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Good honest comments so far. Thanks for being so adult.

2fast

Old 02-05-2001, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

Got to really look at a DS the other day. I was really impressed. Compared to my Raptor, there is parts on the DS that are really nice. Like the front hubs and a-arms, the rear hubs are a work of art, and the overall workmanship is top notch. I,m a Rotax fan too, racing Can-ams for years, so I know about the reliability. I was concerned about the width and extra weight, but kinda regret not giving it a better look before I spent the extra on my Raptor. I think those things could have been over looked , hell , I'm spending lots of money widening my Raptor out for Godsake! Its all personal preferance far as I'm concerned. I just hope I can afford a DS in the near future. Did someone say they were coming out with a black one? Very cool I say!!!

Black/White Raptor
AC skids
Shock covers
DG bumper
Digital tach & hour
Graydon nerfs
Douglas offset front rims
lonestar 2+2 axle

Old 02-06-2001, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

sonic,

With the offset Douglas wheels, are your front brake calipers and so forth exposed, or it there enough hub left to hide all of it? Also, did you go with the 5 or 6 inch wheel?

Thanks!

PS.. I agree, the DS looks like it is built to last.

Old 02-06-2001, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

They are basically the same in performance. My buddy and I have battled all year. He on the DS, me on my Raptor. By the way, has anyone seen the Black DS650. I think it's this years model. It looks sweet...

Old 02-06-2001, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

I'm impressed with this thread. No bash so far. It is great to read something wrote by adults in this site for a change.
Well I am a new happy owner of a DS650. Actually mine is still on the dealer because it is raining like hell in Portugal and I didn't got the time to take it home yet. Maybe tomorrow. Oh well..
I must say I had serious doubts on picking one of the two bikes. They are in fact the best of the industry at the moment.
I've chosen the Bomb first because I had a very good deal and second because of its global quality.
On the Raptor I don't like that serious attitude problem on the front wheels. To drive fast you really need lean forward to compensate the lack of weight on the front end. Of course you can always improve handling with aftermarket parts, but that is not my intention now.
On the other hand when you ride the DS you can feel the precise balance between front and rear which allow you to decide exactly where to put the front wheels. But then I am not a very big fan of Bomb design and there is no reverse. I guess I'll have to get used to that.

Ride safe
JNBOMB650

Old 02-06-2001, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

they are both EXCELLENT machines and we should be happy that yamaha and bombardier are getting out some pretty fine big bore quads!

Quick Reply: 660r COMPARED with the DS650