CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can am 250ds - Good or Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can am 250ds - Good or Bad??

Been looking at a used one these for my oldest son and hope it can be passed down to the next two etc. I took one for a 5 minute ride the other day and it seems like a nice atv.

Also we're thinking of a used (few year old) Honda 250ex but it's a 5 speed with a manual clutch and I think they'd prefer the CVT trans on the Can Am

Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I had a Polaris Trail Blazer for the wife, and the tranny was going bad. Had a trip planned, and needed something for her while the Blazer was in the shop. So I picked one up. It was suitable for her, but she still prefers the Blazer. If this is gonna be for boys, I'd say get the ex. They'll figure out the clutch in no time, and the power difference between the two would be well worth it. There aren't many parts to modify the ds, and the ones out there are overpriced.

I will say the ds has been very dependable. Never had any issues mechanically, and it is a solid quad. You may also want to note that it is not if fact a Can Am, but is manufactured in Tawain and sold in the US under the Can Am name.

Got the Blazer fixed, and that's the wifes main ride again. But we kept the ds as a loaner quad for freinds when we go riding.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

I would agree with the above poster. Get the 250ex. More power and the transmission won't take long to learn. On top of that they will have the basics of a manual tranny down for later machines or even a stick shift car. The 250ex will be more fun for longer, it is also bulletproof, I used to ride one.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

I thought the 250ex was an automatic? It doesn't have a clutch does it?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Check that...They updated to the "Sport Clutch" which is great for beginners. It teaches them to use a clutch without all the stalling.

I believe the older 250ex's will not have the clutch.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Good info to know regarding the Can am as the guy did mention he was having trouble getting one part which I thought was odd with being a brand name quad.

I sold my old '85 TRX 250 this spring that I had for like 22 years. The engine ran fine still and all but other stuff was tired on it. Plus it never did have good suspension and didn't turn very sharp. But it was a good old work horse and probably had a zillion hrs. on it. I didn't feel it was dependable enough for day long trail rides and I didn't feel like putting in anymore time or money into to it anymore.

My father has a '05 Recon for on his farm that is of course way nicer for trail riding compared to that old 250 we had. They improved the suspension quite a bit over the years and it also turns way sharper! Only complaint is it's so hard to shift gears. At least compared to my old '85 Honda 250. Also I think the old 250 engine ran smoother as in less vibrations.

I may borrow the Recon and let the boy take it on the trail one day and see how he likes it.

I take it the 250ex and the Recon are the same atv just different plastic package and that sport clutch???

I know the boys don't want nothing too big and heavy as if they get stuck they want to be able to lift it and get themselves out. So thats why we are leaning towards a sport model like the 250ex. that are lighter. Another nice little quad we saw is the Yamaha Raptor 250, its I think like 50lbs lighter then the Honda 250ex. But it has no reverse which the kids like when they get themselves into tight spots.

I have no issues going back to another honda like a 250ex as it has to go through 3 boys. I just want something that has nice suspension, steering and works good.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

The 250ex is, as you said correctly, a recon fitted to sport plastics and a manual/auto clutch tranny. It turns great, and the shocks work just fine until you start flying a few feet into the air. I weigh 110 and I can muscle my honda pretty well. Also, if you pipe/jet/air filter it, the machine gets tons of low end, depending on the pipe of course, and is a great wheelie machine! Anyway, I think if you get an 07 or up you get the auto clutch, and it's a good idea to look for that. Good luck with your choice, your kids will be happy regardless, but expect the oldest to be looking for more sooner than you think...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by murox
Good luck with your choice, your kids will be happy regardless, but expect the oldest to be looking for more sooner than you think...

Thats what I'm afraid of!!

I looked a the Suzuki Z 250 (or tried to) but they had none in stock. The guy says they only ordered them if people buy them. As he said bank for your ATV buck they are quite poor. Compared to what else you can buy for that kind of money like a small Polaris 4x4 etc which they also sell.

So I don't know I guess its back to looking at used as the new little 250 sports are really over priced. Heck the local Honda dealer wants as much or more for their 250ex then I paid for my new '08 Yamaha Grizzly/Kodiac 350!!!

Rigging up 3 boys on brand ATV's is not cheap.....now I need a trailer!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

The Honda's are really reliable, have you looked at getting a used one? Not sure where you're at, but craigslist here seems to be a good place to start looking.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

Sawyer, check out the new Arctic cat 150. It has all the features, and has a lot more power than you would expect from a 150, and only costs about $3200 U.S. ($3550 Canadian)

Quick Reply: Can am 250ds - Good or Bad??