CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need help with ds 650

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with ds 650

NEED HELP I have a 2000 DS-650 that is cutting out a few minutes after you start it, almost like it is not getting gas. Pulled the plus and the plug looks fine not wet or burnt, no black smoke, not leaking from overflow tube, crab is set to factory specs. Has anyone run into this problem??? And if so can you tell me your fix? I’m at a loss folks.
Thank you
Dunekrew

Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

Have you checked the air/fuel mixture screw? If it's too far in or too far out it will not idle or run good.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to start it with the gas cap off and see if that works. The tank might need to breathe.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Talking

As soon as it dies, using a screwdriver open the bowl drain under the carburetor to see if you are out of fuel. Do not light yourself on fire, use a container and a longer drain hose if needed. Your float or needle might be sticking or tank breather tube could be pinched. There is also a screen filter inside the tank on the petcock which could be plugged. Try also running on reserve, this uses a different pick up tube.

Then again the problem just might be your crab, Factory specs or not :0

Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks all, will try all the above and keep you posted.

DuneKrew

Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

Was even thinking stator or CDI ???

Old 05-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Hay BioWare you nailed it. Took the cap and she run's like a champ. NOW how do i fix it? Drop the tank and clean the filters and screens? Can't ride with the cap off right... lol... Like mystereid advised don't need to be on fire, but might look cool on a night ride from a far...lol

Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

If removing the cap cleared up the issue then you need to check the vent hose. Sounds like it's pinched somewhere. You'll see it under the tank cover, about three feet long and routed around and under the tank. Somewhere along it's route it's not allowing air to flow back into the tank. This prohibits fuel flow to the carb.
Easy fix is to cut it shorter and run it where you know it won't get crimped. I've never heard of or seen the screen get clogged. It just filters out sand and large particle impurities to prevent them from entering the carb.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

Will do that Thanks Ace :-) Now i can ride Sunday..... Yahoo......

Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I've had a clogged screen, hence the reason I brought it up. I added some old octane booster I'd had for years and it formed something almost like a soap film on the nylon screen. Dealing with a 10 year old bike, who knows what has found its way into the gas tank?
That said, it definitely sounds like the vent hose is pinched or plugged on the exposed end. One good option is to use a vented cap and check valve breather tube.