CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

concerned about rattle in rear end/susp renegade x

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default concerned about rattle in rear end/susp renegade x

hi I have noticed a annoying metal on metal tap sound coming from the rear of my renegade x when its under stress. Basically when you rock the atv from side to side you hear a metal ping sound like something is loose somewhere and like theres some kind of play. Its especially annying when riding as it sounds like a loose piece of metal tapping up against something. What it reminds me of is when the footpeg brake spring on my old 84 ATC 200 broke and the brake pedal would smack up against the frame whenever I hit a bump.(kind of irrelvant I know)

its louder if I grab the rear bar or wheely bar and yank the atv sideways quickly either way to the left or right. Its not coming from the front only the rear.

The shock seems fine, no oil leaking and when I jump up and down on it to compress the suspension I dont hear the sound?

Only when I,m turning and or when I yank the atv sideways. Its doesnt seem to be affecting anything but I want to make sure its not a bearing or something that will haunt me financially later.

Anyone know what this could be? Originally it wasnt an issue but over time it seem to be getting louder and more frequent

Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to jack up the rear end and firmly grab the rear wheels and axle and shake them back and forth. if there is any play there your axle bearings are probably shot.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

If the noise is loudest when you rock the quad side to side, you may have damaged the "lever" that attaches the trailing arm to the sway bar. If you have ever jumped the quad, it is very possible that is the problem. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Cardiac
If the noise is loudest when you rock the quad side to side, you may have damaged the "lever" that attaches the trailing arm to the sway bar. If you have ever jumped the quad, it is very possible that is the problem. Good luck.
I have been hitting the jumps a bit more than usual but there pretty tame ones though, but I am gravitationally challenged at 220 pounds.

Is there a way to determine if this is the issue?

What can I look for

thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

heres a video of the sound YouTube - MOV01134

Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Sure sounds like a broken lever to me. It should be under warranty. If not, you will need to try to isolate which side it is coming from. At the top of each rear trailing arm there is a rubber cover. See if you can get someone to rock it while you listen to both sides. If you can tell which side it is, then you will have to remove the cover, etc. I had mine repaired under warranty so I don't have a step by step for you but maybe someone else can chime in. It has happened to a few of us. LOL

Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

does this happen when you start jumping it? I have an 06 Polaris Outlaw and a 04 Eiger. I am thinking about trading them in for a Renegade but I would want to mud like I do on the Eiger and jump, climb and play in the sand pits like I do on the Outlaw.

I am also about 220, how has your Renegage held up? If you fixed this how difficult was it?

Thanks,

Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 04Eiger
does this happen when you start jumping it? I have an 06 Polaris Outlaw and a 04 Eiger. I am thinking about trading them in for a Renegade but I would want to mud like I do on the Eiger and jump, climb and play in the sand pits like I do on the Outlaw.

I am also about 220, how has your Renegage held up? If you fixed this how difficult was it?

Thanks,
I,m going to take it in, I called the dealership and they said it was a warranty issue thank christ, as for mudding, jumping and climbing there is no better sport 4x4.

This thing is a tank in the mud, it will climb basically anything you point it at and it jumps with the bext of them. Just remember its not a true sport machine if you want serious airtime a sport machine is best.

I had a few issues so far, had to replace a shock which was about a grand, but I whined and complained and the dealership just charged me installation, and one of the seals in the cv area went.