CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Big Gun

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand 45

if your unhappy with the Big Gun try the Custom X pipe from Australia I Believe that they are now using this pipe on their factory race bike. You can get all the details from www.bombardierds650.com. I just recently got one and I,m really impressed.

Havoc

Old 03-04-2001, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

sand45, I spoke to soon about the Big Gun! Yes, I still do like the deep sound and power gains but I too am having the flaking of the coating from the header and the packing is also coming out of the back. But there one more thing that happened on Sat. ride. About mid-day, it got louder. Didn't think too much about it but when we did stop the screen on the back was tore and gone! What the heck happened to this! Don't know but I'm going to be in contact with the MFG in the morning over this one! For a price of $400, I think this thing should not just hold up longer than 2 weeks and 2 ride, but should also make my lunch! I'll update you all when I hear from them on this.

Old 03-04-2001, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

650HAVOC
DID YOUR CUSTOME X PIPE GIVE YOU JUST BOTTOM END
OR MID HIGH OR BOTH? HOW MANY DB DO YOU THINK
YOUR EXHAUST IS RUNNING?
THANKS

Old 03-05-2001, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Scooby,
If you are bending the flanges, you are over tightening the nuts. 1Bearman is right, the type of nuts that are needed are called "Prevailing Torque Locknuts". They lock by interference on the outgoing threads. If the dealer doesn't have them, or if they are too expensive a good auto parts store can supply you with them. Dorman makes these nuts and the part number is 432-108 for 8x1.25 which is the proper size. Loctite is not a good solution for this application.

Old 03-05-2001, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

DSjockey, It has rained here all weekend so I could not do anything more than just put around the yard. I will hopefuly ride this coming weekend. It does take a little more force to pull in the clutch, but it is very tolerable.

Old 03-05-2001, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

1bearman i have the new woods pipe it's killer, hey wanna trade your graydon pipe for my 22 inch haulers on itp's and mohawks on itp's?

Old 03-05-2001, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sand45

The Custom X pipe adds performance right though the rev range but it is more noticable from low to high mid range. With the quiet core fitted it produces about the same noise as the stock pipe but a lot deeper tone. Its worth the money

Havoc

Old 03-05-2001, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Got an e-mail back from Big Gun today that stated that I did jet the carb after the install. I did do this and I also redid this to a richer spec. But I still can't believe that a jetting problem will burn or flake the coating off a header! It runs well, no back firing. So how did the spark arrester screen get blown out? What's up with this! My face is getting really RED over this. I'm not to concerned over the flaking or even the screen. I can always make a replacement screen insert and the flaking..... for looks only. But what ever happened to customer service? I want this guy to thank me for buying this high priced product from his company and stumble over how he's going to take care of me! I'm in the customer service field also, and I try and make every customer feel like he's #1 from a buy thats $20 to $2000. I WANT THIS TAKING CARE OF !!!!!

Sorry for laying on the floor, kicking & screaming, I work hard for my money and thought I did pretty good research on this system. I never once seen a post which said that there was an issue with flaking or the screen.

Thanks for your ear.

Old 03-05-2001, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have one more question,with the quietcore is it going to give me all bottom and no top end. Thats the way my big gun was, i did not like that! it slowed my ds way down,I think ran harder with the stock exhaust. thanks

Old 03-05-2001, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

NewDsLover, if Big Gun has an email address you should email this thread to them and let them know that their actions are out in the open for all to see. We as DS owners are a small minority in the scheme of things, but I bet other ATV owners read this forum. I would venture a guess if someone took the time to write on the other fourms about your experience it could REALLY influence many potential aftermarket buyers.